THET is an international development organisation committed to improving health services across Africa and Asia through the support of Health Links. Please see our website for more information.
Closing date: 05 Jan 2011
Location: Somalia - London
Location: Somalia - London
Tropical Health and Education Trust (THET)
Health Links Programme Manager
Health Links Programme Manager (UK relations)
c. £28,000 - 30,000 p.a.
Director of Programmes
Purpose of Job
- Management of THET’s Health Links Programme (a programme to support the development and quality of links between UK Health Institutions and their counterparts in the developing world)
- Ensure that all Health Links grants and projects are delivered on budget, on time, with maximum effectiveness
- Lead and support the Health Links Programme team (2-3 direct reports) to ensure high quality programme delivery, assist in problem solving and seek to facilitate their professional development
- Increase strategic engagement of NHS Trusts and other health institutions in the International Health Links movement
- Increase awareness, engagement and improved understanding of Health Links within the health workforce in the UK
- Develop more effective Health Links, delivering more impact both overseas, but also to the UK and the NHS
- Identify opportunity for the NHS to learn from low and middle income countries.
- Identify and develop new programmes and areas of work for THET and partners
Specific deliverables would include:
- Develop and deliver a continued programme of engagement with the NHS (including the development of support materials and participation in key NHS events)
- Disbursement of special project funds for innovation – complimentary to funding scheme and providing cross cutting programmatic support to links (e.g. volunteer networks for technical assistance to links).
- Identify how the NHS can best contribute to health services in low and middle income countries and how the NHS can learn from low and middle income countries.
- Delivery of the annual THET Links conference
- The possible development of bespoke training for NHS professionals looking to work in Global Health
Any other duties as requested, commensurate with experience.
- Track record of management and external representation (at least 3 years)
- A track record of leadership, diplomatic skills, and ability to relate to wide range of players, including across cultures
- Understanding of the structure, roles and relationships of NHS organisations, as well as other UK health organisations
- Excellent judgement and strategic ability
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Drive, creativity, willingness to learn, flexibility - and a team player
- Convincing commitment to THET’s cause, ethos and the value of international health partnerships
- Varied experience (at least 3 years) of management in the NHS
- Understanding and experience of working with extended networks and communications
- Demonstrable interest in public health and / or evaluation of health programmes
- Experience of working within training and / or education
- Familiarity with international development issues and the needs of poorer developing countries, eg in sub-Saharan Africa or South Asia
- Familiarity with project management tools and methods
- Experience of proposal writing / obtaining grant funding
To apply, please send a CV and a one page covering letter to Cath Butterfield, THET, 1 Wimpole Street (5th Floor), London, W1G 0AE or by email to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 5th January 2011
Interviews: 13th January 2011
Note: This post is only open to people with existing right to work in the UK.
How to applyTo apply, please send a CV and a one page covering letter to Cath Butterfield, THET, 1 Wimpole Street (5th Floor), London, W1G 0AE or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.