A new, full time vacancy has become available as a Communication and Visit team assistant in the United Kingdom Representation to the European Union (UKREP). The jobholder will provide general administrative support to UKREP’s busy communication and visits team. This is a great opportunity to play a vital role supporting a busy and cross cutting team that handles all Ministerial visits to Brussels on EU business as well as all the communication work of the Mission. This position will require the jobholder to start at 07:15 am daily with flexibility on break and finishing times. Applications should be sent with full C.V. and covering letter including a supporting statement setting out how applicants meet the essential skills required for this post (300 words max.), to the attention of the Recruitment Officer, JMO (firstname.lastname@example.org). Existing members of the locally engaged staff should inform their Head of Section if they respond to this notice.
COMMUNICATION & VISITS TEAM ASSISTANT
- Provide general administrative support to team including: monitoring of team budget and ensuring team credit card logs completed on time; assisting with meeting and travel bookings; handling IT support requests; electronic filing; maintaining the UK delegation room in the Council building; and arranging Council visitor badges where necessary.
- Press cuttings & newspapers: Produce hard copies of daily press cuttings for communication team and senior management; maintain list of search terms; collect newspapers; maintain archives; and liaise day to day with suppliers.
- Organise media briefings and distribute statements: maintain contact list for media representatives; arrange suitable times for media briefings; book meeting rooms; send out invites and statements.
- European Councils: liaise with No.10 and Council on media accreditation; make logistical arrangements for UK press briefing room; set up briefings; organise Council badges for press and digital team; provide support as necessary to visits team.
- Process invoices relating to visits from ministers, parliamentary committees and senior officials.
- Monitor the media for communication team and provide updates for staff across UKREP on issues relevant to their area.
- Handle routine access to document requests: identifying relevant desk officer to provide advice and submitting response to Council.
- Provide secretarial support for Head of Communications: assisting with diary & inbox management; arranging meetings and travel.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Excellent organisation skills; proven ability to plan and prioritise tasks.
- Experience of working in a team; whether in a work or extracurricular context.
- Ability to solve problems and pay attention to detail.
- A pleasant telephone manner.
- Good IT skills with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Experience of working in an office environment and using office equipment (fax, photocopier, shredder).
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- 07:15 am start Monday to Friday.
Desirable skills and experience
- Understanding of the European Union and of the UK Government.
- Good written and spoken French.
- Experience of handling accounts.
This position will be filled on a 2 year fixed term contract.
Gross monthly salary: € 2007.37
Applications with a full CV in English should be sent to the Recruitment Officer,(email@example.com), JMO, Avenue d’Auderghem 10, 1040 Brussels by 24 January 2011. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Belgium.
Only applicants called for interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be held soon after the closing date with a view to the successful applicant starting work as soon as possible subject to security clearance and administrative processes.
The British Missions in Brussels are an equal opportunities employer. Applications are welcome from all suitably qualified applicants regardless of age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or physical disability. We aim to reflect the diversity of society.