VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: DIRECTOR, TRADE AND INDUSTRY (10001500)
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters is located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, amongst others, the implementation of a new organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts of Director.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position in the Department of Trade and Industry which is mainly in charge of Pan African strategies, policies and programmes of cooperation, development and integration in the fields of Trade, Industry, Customs, and Immigration.
Post title: Director
Post level: D1
Unit: Office of the Director
Immediate Supervisor: Commissioner for Trade and Industry
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
a. To advise the Commissioner on policy and strategy matters and assist in developing and supervising work programmes and in developing partnership relations;
b. To prepare and implement plans of action and programmes and activities of the Department;
c. To provide technical guidance and ensure efficient functioning of supervised Divisions;
d. To organise, coordinate and ensure the implementation of plans of action, programmes and activities of the Department;
e. To build and maintain good working relations with other Departments/Directorates/Offices of the Commission;
f. To develop and maintain appropriate working relations with partners of the African Union in the field of Trade and Industry;
g. To promote best practices and appropriate working systems;
h. To ensure overall management of the Department: personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force;
i. To produce and submit periodic reports of activities and specific missions;
j. To perform any other duties as they may be assigned.
3. Educational Qualifications: Candidates must have of at least a Masters Degree in Economics, or Business Administration, or International Trade or related studies.
4. Work experience requirement: Candidates must have at least 10 years of progressively relevant working experience in International Trade and Industrial development, of which at least 5 years should be in a senior management position.
5. Other relevant skills
- Computer literacy,
- Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management, implementation and monitoring;
- Management experience, excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
- Good communication and negotiating skills;
- Good planning and organizational skills.
6. Language requirement: Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages. Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an advantage.
7. Age requirement: candidates must preferably be between 35 and 50 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment: The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance.
9. Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Application: To apply, please submit the following:
a. A letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the African Union Commission;
b. A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
c. Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references;
d. Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
11. Remuneration: Indicative basic salary of US$ 70,139.00 per annum plus other related entitlements –e.g. post adjustment (46% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$ 16,819.20 per annum), education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses up to a maximum of US$ 7,800.00 per child per annum), etc in accordance with the Rules and Regulations Governing the employment of International Civil Servants of the African Union Commission.
The applications must be received not later than 01 March 2011, and should be addressed to:
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
P.O. Box 3243
Expert en suivi/évaluation de politiques de développement - *Expert en suivi/évaluation de politiques de développement – (572 jours ouvrables - 22j/mois) - Assistance Technique pour l'appui au Programme d’appui bu...
1 day ago