ICCO & Kerk in Actie Central America and Haiti
are looking for a Program Officer (PO; bilingual)
for Disaster Response Programme
based in Port au Prince, Haiti
About ICCO and Kerk in Actie
ICCO (Interchurch Organization for Development Co-operation) & Kerk in Actie provide financial support and advice to local organizations and networks that are dedicated to improve access to basic services, stimulate sustainable economic development and promote peace and democracy. We also intermediate between enterprising people in the Netherlands and in developing countries. We work closely with social organizations, educational institutions and the private sector. We help people to build a dignified existence and become financially independent. See www.icco.nl
About the regional office Central America and Haiti
We work in Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Haiti. The country office and team based in Haiti are part of the regional office in Nicaragua. We are expanding the Haiti team to improve our support to the local response to the January 2010 Earthquake.
Tasks and responsibilities
The main responsibility of the PO is the interaction with the partners in Haiti in managing disaster response programmes in accordance with ICCO/ Kerk in Actie, back donors, UN and government policies and guidelines. The program officer reports to the country manager, and falls under the responsibility of the Regional Manager. He/she works in a multidisciplinary team and in direct cooperation with the finance officer.
- external coordination and information sharing with UN, Haitian and Dutch Government representatives, other donors, ACT Members, and international partners at programme level, as delegated by the country manager
- implementing the (emergency and rehabilitation) programme plan as presented to the backdonor and coming up with proposals to adjust this plan if needed,
- Provide thematic DR expertise to other team members and to partners on-the-ground and promotes mainstreaming of Disaster Preparedness and Risk Management within regular programs.
- Facilitate the implementation of ICCO & Kerk in Actie's earthquake response programme in Haiti by applying its four strategic roles: strategic financing, lobby & advocacy, capacity building and brokerage.
- Identify and support elaboration of proposals with (potential) partners in Haiti.
- Assess disaster response program and project proposals and prepare funding and other decisions.
- Review narrative reports of projects and programs and follow up of recommendations.
- Monitor and evaluate ongoing contracts between ICCO&Kerk in Actie and partner organizations.
- Preparing progress and final reports for backdonors;
- Provide input to the policy formulation, budgeting, performance, monitoring, capacity development and risk management of partners' disaster response projects and programs.
- Contribute to policy development incl. exit / transition, SPHERE, Code of Conduct, CBDRM (Community-Based Disaster Risk Management), DRR, beneficiary accountability, rights-based approach, etc.;
- Collecting partner and projects related information as input to communication to constituency, donors and media.
Profile of the candidate
- Good knowledge of disaster response issues and up-to-date insight in related policies and standards, context analysis and North-South cooperation.
- Good understanding of the economic, social and political situation in Haiti and the region, especially of Haitian civil society and social movements.
- Relevant educational background and professional experience in the fields of rapid disaster response and rehabilitation.
- At least five years experience in handling a projects portfolio. Demonstrated knowledge of PME systems of projects and programs.
- Knowledge of financial aspects related to funding of projects and programs.
- Excellent language skills in French and English and preferably also Creole.
- Negotiation, communication, networking and facilitating skills.
- Prepared to live and travel in the region.
- Positive attitude towards the protestant character of ICCO and Kerk in Actie.
An interesting job in an environment with many possibilities for development and initiative, for one year with possible prolongation. Competitive Salary, depending on experience and qualifications, and fringe benefits.
Application and information
Please send your application letter (with a clear motivation) and CV both in English, before 30 January, 2011 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-bilingual applicants or applicants without experience will not be taken into consideration.