Internews® Network is an international media development organization based in Arcata, CA and Washington, DC whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect, and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews Network is seeking a Project Director candidate to lead media development initiatives in the Jordan office. Under the supervision of the VP for MENA/LAC, the Project Director performs high level tasks and will manage Internews Network projects based out of the Amman office, including fiscal oversight
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinates closely with the MENA team in Washington, DC;
• Oversees Internews project/s managed through the Jordan office including budgets, program expenditures, activities, trainings and coordination with partners and sub grantees;
• Acts as local budget and program authority)
• Represents Internews in meetings with local and international organizations, NGO’s, media outlets, journalists in Jordan and the region and establishes solid relationships to facilitate the implementation of the projects; maintains contact and presence at local/ regional key media contacts, and conferences/meetings;
• Enhances Internews presence in country;
• Takes the lead in securing media coverage for Internews projects and ensures positive media support;
• Drafts quarterly reports for all projects managed through the Jordan office;
• Oversees monitoring and evaluation effort by the Jordan office;
• Provide weekly updates to the MENA/LAC VP;
• Researches new funding opportunities for Internews Network with key funders in the region including USG, UNDP, UNIFEM, among others drafts proposals and research papers as needed;
• Supervises all staff in the Amman office;
• Maintains travel expenses reimbursement logs for international travel outside Jordan; and
• Other duties as assigned/necessary.
• Manage and oversee all staff based in the country.
• Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Fluent in Arabic and English.
• Prior experience in Middle East.
• Knowledge of Iranian and Jordanian politics, culture, and media landscape.
• Significant professional experience on in-depth reporting in either print, broadcast or new media in the Middle East.
• Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets.
• Previous senior-level management experience, including significant staff, financial and administrative oversight of U.S. government funded development projects in the region.
• Desire and ability to work in physically demanding and emotionally challenging environments.
• Willing and able to travel extensively.
• Education: Undergraduate degree and relevance, graduate degree and relevance to field work – and 10 years industry experience.
• Ability to read and interpret financial reports and budgets.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience managing in the region is highly desired.
How to applyTO APPLY
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications should forward a cover letter and resume to 876-in(at) internews (dot) org (re-write in standard format), placing “PD-JO-IN” in the subject line. EOE M/F/D/V