Level: NPP contract equivalent to G-3
Contract period: 6 months extendable
Job Role, Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of Sub Regional Emergency Coordinator for Eastern and Central Africa and the direct supervision of the functional supervisor, the protocol assistant/driver will perform the following duties:
While liaising with FAOR, assist in preparation and follows up on the status of documents submitted to the protocol unit while maintaining a log of all deliveries and receipts to and from both units, namely:
- Assist in processing of Re-entry permits, UNLP renewals, PROAs, PRO1Bs, PRO1Cs and VAT exemptions.
- Assist in registration of office vehicles.
- Accurate and systematic filing of documents and updating the physical files all immigration, duty free and tax exemptions documents while ensuring that the filing area is accessible and neat.
- Maintain updated records of road license, insurance, vehicle movement logs, vehicle fuel consumption, service and repair records
- Drives and transports FAO personnel/missions
- Ensures office vehicles are always in good working condition – clean, serviced and repaired at all times
- Ensure immediate appropriate action and reporting is made incase of involvement in accidents
- Assist in collecting of vendor information and simple procurements of miscellaneous office items
- Deliver office messages and letters as directed
- Carry out various office miscellaneous tasks such as photocopying, scanning document, faxing etc.
- Assist in office maintenance (furniture & fittings) and cleaning supervision.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- O level /secondary education. Possession of clean and valid driving license.
- Minimum 5 years of work experience as a protocol assistant/driver in the UN system or an international organization.
- Good knowledge of the Swahili and English is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of the local protocol and driving rules.
- Skills in minor vehicle repair.
- A high degree of punctuality and reliability is required.
- Safe driving manner.
- Good sense of direction and knowledge of local conditions.
- Ability to cope with extended working hours.
Interpersonal Communication Skills:
- The Driver must possess a polite and friendly attitude and handle his/her passengers with utmost respect.
- A tidy appearance, courtesy, discretion and a high level of trustworthiness are essential personal attributes.
In his/her function as Protocol assistant/driver for FAO Sub Regional Emergency Office for Eastern and Central Africa, the incumbent is in regular contact with staff from all levels of the country office, with national and international visitors, with (high ranking) officials from the Government and other (UN) Agencies, with project managers, consultants and other personnel from within and outside the Organization.
He / she is often the first point of contact for people from outside the country office.
He / she interacts on a day-to-day basis with personnel and officials from local offices and service providers.
Applications should be forwarded by mail or email addressed to either of the following addresses:
Sub Regional Emergency Office for Eastern and Central Africa
1st Floor, Eden square, Westlands
P.O. Box 30470-00100,
Ref: Re – Application
REOA – Eden Square
or email: FAOKE-REOA@fao.org
Closing Date: 31st January, 2011