VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: SENIOR COORDINATOR, NEPAD (10000587)
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States, as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver, by amongst others, implementing its organization structure and filling all vacant posts.
The African Union Commission invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the post of Senior Coordinator, NEPAD.
Job title: Senior Coordinator, NEPAD
Post level: P6
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Unit: NEPAD Coordination Unit
Supervisor: Chief of Staff
2. Major duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Chairperson of the Commission, the Chief of Staff and the Director of Economic Affairs, the Senior Coordinator will be responsible for:
a) Counseling the Chairperson of the Commission in the primary areas of duty of the Unit;
b) Coordinating and monitoring the implementation of decisions taken by African Union decision-making organs relating to NEPAD, including those of the NEPAD Heads of State and Government Implementation Committee (HSGIC);
c) Serving as focal point for all NEPAD related issues, including providing information on NEPAD programmes and the monitoring of the implementation thereof;
d) Organizing and providing secretarial duties for meetings of the NEPAD Coordinating Unit and other related activities;
e) Coordinating and monitoring the ongoing process of integrating NEPAD within African Union structures and processes, in keeping with agreed recommendations and the terms of reference of the Joint Implementation Committee (JIC);
f) Informing the Chairperson of the status of progress in the process of integrating the NEPAD Secretariat in the African Union;
g) Fostering synchronization and harmony between Commission and NEPAD programmes as well as ownership of such programmes, particularly by the RECs;
h) Collaborating with the NEPAD Secretariat in organizing meetings of the latter, of the HSGIC, the Steering Committee, the African Partnership Forum(APF) and other joint meetings;
i) Regularly proving the Commission with information on the primary activities and the status of progress within NEPAD, and evaluating the incidence thereof on Commission programmes;
j) Monitoring and analyzing the process of integrating NEPAD within the Commission, and proposing solutions to problems identified;
k) Monitoring the work of the NEPAD Implementation Committee in conjunction with the African Peer Review Mechanism and in collaboration with CIDO;
l) Supervising and coordinating, together with the NEPAD Secretariat, the ECA and the AfDB, progress made in the implementation of the African Action Plan (AAP);
m) Serving as the AU focal point for the Regional Consultation/Coordination Mechanism (RCM) by taking part in relevant meetings and liaising with the RCM Secretariat based at the ECA;
n) Overseeing the overall management of the Unit, that is, staff, the budget, performance, quality, discipline and training, in conformity with the Rules of Procedure in force;
o) Producing and submitting periodic reports on activities and specific missions;
p) Carrying out any tasks that could be assigned to it.
3. Educational qualifications: Candidates must have at least a Masters Degree in Economics, Law or International Relations.
4. Work experience: Candidates must have at least 10 years of appropriate experience in the field of intergovernmental organizations by working in the area of socio-economic development. They should have sound knowledge in the preparation of programmes and the monitoring of the implementation thereof, with at least 3 years at management level.
5. Other relevant skills:
a) Computer literacy;
b) Proficiency in policy analysis and development;
c) Management experience, excellent interpersonal skills;
d) Ability to organize and motivate others, and to work in a multi-cultural environment;
e) Excellent drafting and reporting skills;
f) Good communication and negotiating skills;
g) Good planning and organizational skills.
6. Language requirement: Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French and Portuguese). Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
7. Age requirement: Candidates should preferably be between 35 and 50 years old.
8. Tenure of Appointment: The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance.\
9. Gender mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
10. Application: To apply, please submit the following:
a. A letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the African Union Commission.
b. A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender.
c. Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references.
d. Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
11. Remuneration: Indicative basic salary of US$ 54,776.00 per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post adjustment (46% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$16,819.20 per annum), and education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum) in conformity with the rules and procedures applicable to internationally recruited staff of the Commission.
12. Applications must be received not later than 01 March 2011 and should be addressed to:
Director of Administration and Human Resources
P.O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
7 hours ago