Location: Nairobi (Kenya) with frequent trips on the field
Duration: 12 months
Solidarités International is an international humanitarian aid organization providing assistance to populations in needs and victims of conflict or natural disasters.
For 30 years, Solidarités International has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs: water, food and shelter. By carrying out emergency programs, Solidarités International has acquired experience and expertise in the fields of water and sanitation and food security.
In the Horn of Africa, Solidarités International is currently implementing food security and water and sanitation projects in Kenya and Somalia.
Objectives of this position
The Food security coordinator is the responsible for the proper implementation and quality of the food security component in all Kenya and Somalia programs. S/He is the technical focal point and an advisor for food security for the Kenya / Somalia team. The Food security coordinator is under the direct responsibility of the Country Director.
Tasks of this position
Responsible for the quality of food security activities
- Guaranty that food security activities are implemented according to the standardized methodology, with a participatory approach
Capitalization / Technical Advisor
- Organize workshops and regular communications in purpose to share experiences and develop capacity building strategies among different field teams
- Check the relevancy of technical designs or solutions proposed at the proposal level or during the course of the project
- Represent Solidarites in different food security coordination meetings
Monitoring of the humanitarian situation/ Assessments
- Monitor constantly the food security humanitarian situation in Kenya and Somalia
- Develop early effective warning systems and tools to monitor the humanitarian situation and report to the coordination team Direct support of the field team
- Support field teams in the design and the implementation of the food security activities
- Support field teams in the drafting of proposals and reports
Elaborate and guide the sectorial strategy
- Carry out, analyse and capitalise humanitarian assessments and other partners related with food security issues.
- Elaborate our intervention strategy in accordance with the proposals if any, for each area and each context.
- Prepare and is responsible of reporting related to food security programs
Note: this list gives the framework of your activities but it is not exhaustive. You may be asked to complete other duties.
- Master degree in food security / agriculture engineering or equivalent experience
- At least 5 years of field experience with NGOs in food security activities, based on community participation
- At least 2 year of field Experience with NGOs in a management position
- Proven experience of assessments, of proposal writings, monitoring and evaluation
- English (working language): fluent with excellent writing capacities
- French or Kiswahili remains desirable
- High self-control capacity, rigour.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and live in a sometimes solitary environment with significant restrictions on personal movement.
- Reactivity and adaptation to a very moving context
- Good writing capacities
Kindly send your cover letter, CV and contact details for 3 referees to the following email address: email@example.com by closing date, 25th January 2011.
Please clearly indicate the position you are applying for in the title of your email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Solidarites is an equal opportunity employer