Barrick Exploration Africa Limited seeks to appoint an Occupational, Health and Safety Coordinator. Reporting to the Vice President Exploration the person will be responsible to provide support to line management, the OH&S Team and employees in developing, maintaining and leading a strong safety culture within the African Exploration Group.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Coordinate the development, implementation and assessment of a Health, Safety, Security, Environmental and Community management systems that:
- Prevents harm to our people, equipment, stakeholders and the environment; and
- Ensures legislative compliance.
• Develop and maintain a safe working environment for all employees, contractors and the public through strong leadership, personal communication, training and auditing.
• Lead the regional OHS team and provide safety and health support to management and regional exploration teams.
• Coordinate Exploration safety and health activities across the African region including;
- Developing, implementing and reviewing safety and health initiatives within the region;
- Internal auditing of all exploration activities, including contractor operations;
- Compilation of end of month and annual ABG Exploration and statutory safety and health statistics and reports, and others as required;
- Managing and mentoring direct reports;
- Monitoring of Exploration Group compliance with relevant OH&S and Environmental legislation;
- Providing uniform OHS training across the region;
- Reporting of risks and incidents (including instances of legislative non-compliance) to VP Exploration or relevant statutory groups;
- Communication with RBU OHS group and mine site OHS representatives to ensure knowledge is shared and promote consistent development and application of safety and health initiatives within the region;
- Participate as a member of the Global/African Exploration Group Safety and Health Committee.
PROFESSIONAL AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS/ATTRIBUTES
• Tertiary qualification in Occupational Health & Safety.
• Assessment and Workplace Training (or equivalent).
• Surface Ventilation Officer
• Minimum Industrial Medic
• Minimum 5 years mining and/or mineral exploration industry experience including at least 3 years in OH&S positions.