Job Title: Technical Advisor (Health)
Reports to: Operations Manager
Location: Dublin/Nairobi with field travel up to 60% of role
GOAL is an international humanitarian organisation founded in 1977. GOAL’s programmes are aimed at assisting the most vulnerable in communities and providing immediate support to those affected by war or natural disaster. GOAL is an organisation with an approximate annual budget of €60m of which approximately 30 % is expended in health, which is a core sector for GOAL.
GOAL’s health strategy centres on initiating and contributing to the sustainability of PHC activities in countries of operation in co-ordination with national governments and other relevant national and international partners. HIV and WASH are integrated in to GOALs health activities as GOAL recognises that such issues play a key role in determining population health status particularly in vulnerable communities. GOAL may consider directly implementing health activities during acute emergency interventions and in Complex Emergency (CE) situations however from the outset GOAL will consider building MoH capacity to respond and will plan an handover strategy where possible.
GOAL supports community based behaviour change approaches and works with communities often through local partners to get them actively involved and empowered to seek positive changes to their own health status and that of their community.
Overview of the role:
To provide technical guidance to GOAL health programmes (remotely and via field visits) with a particular focus on community health and health system strengthening. The Health Advisor will serve as the point of contact for all matters related to health issues. She/he will also ensure that health activities are in line with GOALs health strategy and overall primary health care approach.
• To ensure that HIV mitigation activities are a part of all health activities and to ensure the integration of nutrition into primary health programming.
• To support on health policy development with a particular focus on supporting the strengthening of health systems and community based health approaches.
• To provide technical support on health issues to GOALs country programmes team and the Operations team based in Dublin.
• To ensure that gender dynamics, are incorporated into all health activities and is a key component of health staff training and development.
• Participate in health research and analysis with a particular focus on Community Health –ensure that such research and methodologies are disseminated within the organisation.
• Monitor international best practise, innovation and external research and disseminate appropriate research and tools within the organisation.
• Support country health teams to develop technically appropriate programmes which reflect the community needs and the strategic direction of GOAL.
• Assist GOAL country programmes in developing community health approaches which are based on behaviour change/barrier analysis methodologies and which seek to address the underlying causes of poor health outcomes for communities.
• To represent GOAL at selected technical health meetings, with donors and to other external agencies as required by Operations Manager.
• To assist in donor proposal development as required by in country teams and or GOAL Dublin.
• To actively seek out new sources of health funding and support country health programmes to develop health proposals for new and innovative health donors.
Health System Management:
• Ensure that GOAL programmes are working with MoH structures at local and national level to support health system reforms.
• Apply knowledge and expertise in health policy and programmes to design and develop activities that promote health policy reforms/development.
• Support country health programmes to transition their health approach to ensure that health system strengthening is a key component of their approach.
• Work at the policy level with key decision makers from the host government, participating in strategy development and technical discussions relating to future direction of the health programme.
Health Human Resources:
• Coordinate with other members of the technical team in particular the members of the Public Health sector (which includes WASH, Nutrition and HIV technical staff) in order to develop GOALs integrated approach to programme planning and implementation.
• Participate in recruitment and professional development of GOAL health staff as required.
• Advise HR on selection and shortlisting of health candidates and participate in technical briefings of newly recruited health staff as required.
• Participate in staff reviews for senior health staff and advice HR on training needs requirements or retention initiatives for health staff.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION:
• Work closely with GOALs M&E department to ensure that the health component of GOALs programme are using GOALs M&E tools appropriately and that M&E training and capacity building is being provided as required.
• Ensure that all health programmes have an M&E plan in place and the technical capacity and support to implement this.
• Promote the sharing of best practice and learning in relation to health programming across the organisation.
• To take the lead on supporting periodic internal evaluations of country health programmes and assist and participate in external health evaluations as required.
• Assist in developing appropriate health monitoring tools and ensuing that those which are in place are being used appropriately and are sufficiently robust to assist in programme review.
Emergency Health Response:
• Participate/lead in emergency health assessments as required and support the set-up of such programmes in the initial phase of implementation.
• Advise GOAL Dublin on emerging health problems in countries of operation or other countries as necessary and provide technical advice on recommended response by GOAL.
• Support emergency health teams to consider an exit or sustainability strategy which can be implemented once the acute phase of the emergency is over.
Education and Qualifications:
• A Master’s Degree in Public Health or a related subject with some background in health systems strengthening - transitioning health systems from relief to development.
• Experience of developing donor proposals and reports with various donors and understanding of the log-frame or results framework.
• Proven experience in emergency health assessments, health responses and maternal and child health programmes.
• Minimum 5 years international field experience in health.
• Ability to make links between WASH, HIV/AIDS, and nutrition within the broader context of an integrated public health approach.
• The ability to liaise and effectively coordinate with government, local NGOs and community initiatives.
• Proven ability to effectively influence health policy, reform and strategy within health structures.
• Some experience of working in insecure or basic settings and willingness to undertake this for short term assignments.
• Experience in M&E with a particular focus on setting up workable monitoring health systems.
• Knowledge of a second language (such as Kiswahili, French or Arabic).
• Experience managing CMAM programming and the integration of nutrition in primary health care.
• Specific experience of taking the lead of proposal and programme development for specific large scale
• Experience of behaviour change methodologies/barrier analysis for community health.
• Experience in urban health programming also an advantage.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. This is an unaccompanied position. Interviews will be held in Dublin or London. Unfortunately GOAL cannot contribute to financial costs incurred when attending interview.
Note: GOAL is an equal opportunities employer
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance.
If you would like to apply for the above position, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com, ensuring that the job title and location of the role are clearly stated in the subject line of your email.
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
2 days ago