|Vacancy No: DHAKA/2015/03|
Title: Chief Technical Adviser, National Employment Injury Insurance Scheme
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One year (subject to funding)
|Date: 12 November 2015|
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 26 November 2015
(8 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organization unit: CO-DHAKA
Duty Station: Dhaka, Bangladesh
|For any questions related to this post, please contact Mr Srinivas B. Reddy, email@example.com|
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the following vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their curriculum vitae online by the above date (midnight Geneva time).
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates
Conditions of employment are described in Appendix II.
The Office is a non-smoking environment.
The Employment Injury Insurance Scheme (EIIS) builds on lessons learnt from ILO's unique intervention to address the provision of medical care and the financial compensation of injured workers and family dependents of workers who lost their lives in the Rana Plaza accident of 24 April 2013 in Bangladesh. In the aftermath of the accident, the ILO was called upon to ensure that the victims of the accident receive medical and allied care and payments in line with the requirements of the ILO Employment Injury Benefits Convention, 1964 (No.121) to bridge for the lack of an effective national legislation framework on employment injuries, accidents and deaths in Bangladesh. The ILO intervention has been multi-faceted and contributed to building up arrangements to ensure that victims of the Rana Plaza accident have access to medical care and allied benefits, as well as cash payments, at least in line with the minimum requirements of ILO Convention No. 121.
The EIIS is aligned with the priorities of the Area of Critical Importance on Implementing Social protection Floors (ACI.3). It supports the framework of the Decent Work Country Programme for Bangladesh and contributes although in an unusual manner to implementing minimum guarantees of social protection as foreseen in the context of the Social Protection Floors Recommendation, 2012 (No. 202) as well as the type and levels of protection set out in the Social Security (Minimum Standards) Convention, 1952 (No. 102) (Part VI - Employment Injury Benefits) and the Employment Injury Benefits Convention, 1964 (No. 121). It contributes as well to the on-going large scale ILO project on Working Conditions in the Ready-Made Garment Sector in Bangladesh set up in the aftermath of the Rana Plaza accident, which started in 2013.
In the short-term, the programme aims at completing the support extended to Bangladesh for the operationalization of the Rana Plaza Arrangement and delivery of payments to injured workers and the dependents of the deceased or missing workers as a result of the accident. Starting also initially but extending beyond the initial period, the programme envisages building up ILO's capability to be more systematically equipped and ready to address financial compensation and medical care needs to support member States that may possibly face large scale work accidents and work-related diseases and deaths in the future. At the same time, the programme anticipates the need for preparing a solid ground for the future development of an employment injury insurance (EII) scheme in Bangladesh. In this way, the support to the Rana Plaza Compensation Arrangement (RPCA) builds the ILO's response to the Government's request for technical cooperation for the development of a tripartite protocol for employment injury compensation based on ILO Convention No. 121, a key component of the National Tripartite Plan of Action on Fire Safety for the Ready-Made Garment in Bangladesh (adopted as revised 25 July 2013). To meet the above stated objectives, a policy and operational handbook will be prepared, documenting the experience of the RPCA design and delivery and compiling and analysing lessons learnt in the context of the Bangladesh social protection system. At the same time, national institutional capacities will be strengthened through workshops and training courses for national policy-makers, representatives of relevant ministries and government agencies, of employers and workers as well as other key national and international stakeholders t (such as UN agencies and other technical and financial partners in Bangladesh, international buyers, etc.). Study tours in neighbouring countries with experiences in setting up Employment injury protection systems such as Cambodia, Malaysia, Republic of Korea, Japan, Thailand and others will also be organised for such purposes. A major event, bringing together tripartite constituents and other national stakeholders as well as key international stakeholders will be held in Dhaka to disseminate and share these products and experiences and to discuss the extension of the social protection system in Bangladesh. An international conference will raise awareness and solicit the commitment of different stakeholders in Bangladesh, as well as in neighbouring countries where social protection systems are lacking, as well as of the key international stakeholders, namely in relation to those related to workers in export-processing industries. The outcome of this event should be consensus towards a strategy for the development of social protection - including the establishment of EII schemes for workers.
Subject to donor funding, the project aims at consolidating employment injury compensation and social protection efforts in Bangladesh, drawing lessons for possible future catastrophic events, and kick-starting a process upon which to build an ILO capacity to be ready to address demands of member States in the event of catastrophic accidents. At the same time, it serves to prepare national stakeholders for the possible establishment of an EII scheme, giving effect to their tripartite commitment undertaken under the National Action Plan on Fire and Safety, and the development of the national social protection system.
Further support will be required following this period for the follow up and actual implementation of benefit schemes that may be decided during the 12-months.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of ILO Country Office the Project Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), will contribute to the implementation of the project in the areas of his/her competence. He/she needs to work closely with the members of the project team and will be involved in joint activities involving other technical departments.
|Description of Duties|
1. Coordinate the activities on EII with other partners and donors as well as liaise with other stakeholders putting forward initiatives related to employment injury to find out how these other initiatives could fit in or be complementary to the ILO EII project.
2. Provide strategic advice and guidance to the tripartite constituents on legal and policy matters related to employment, occupation safety and health (OSH) and social protection schemes and application of relevant ILO Standards.
3. Advise the Ministry of Labour and Employment on the development of a National Employment Injury Insurance Programme.
4. Provide support in reaching the commitment from key actors to the development of a national EII scheme based on principles that are both in line with C.121 and acceptable to them.
5. Provide guidance to build up national government capacities towards the adoption of the necessary legislation for the creation of the EII scheme as well as the creation of a National Social Security Institution capable of administering the EII scheme.
6. Supervise the completion of the on-going feasibility study with the Government of Bangladesh and social partners the basis to complete the legislative framework that will determine the coverage, eligibility, benefits, financing, institutional and other governance aspects relevant to the new EII scheme.
7. Provide guidance on the development of the recommendations on the structure of the new law on employment injury insurance in the context of the labour code and other national legislations.
8. In consultation with the tripartite constituents and in close collaboration with SOCPRO (Social Protection Department), develop a bridging solution for the period until the EII scheme is operational.
9. Ensure a sound legal framework for a national EII scheme developed. Provide guidance in the development of a new employment injury insurance law and set of regulations on financing strategy, benefits package for health care of disabled workers, benefit package for physical and vocational training of disabled workers and payment methods and the administration of the new EIIP. Lead the workshops, seminars, on the relevant topics and review the draft reports prepared by the national and international experts for finalization of the reports.
10. Ensure fund mobilization for the project. Conduct presentation with the potential donors.
11. Disseminate information on employment injury insurance scheme topics among key stakeholders and with SOCPRO (Social Protection Department) through publications, manuals, guidebooks, press releases, etc. and ensure representation in donors meetings, international, regional and local forums, and promotion campaigns necessary.
12. Ensure a high degree of transparency, accountability and credibility internally and externally for the project.
13. Ensure the effective implementation of inputs, activities and outcomes according to the project document and work plan.
14. Periodically report, monitor and facilitate the evaluation of all project's components according to the project's document and work plan.
15. Manage the project's human resources including recruitment, mainstreaming gender equality and the principles of equal opportunity, staff development and performance management.
16. Supervise the work of the project's staff and consultants according to ILO's human resources regulations.
17. Assume full responsibility for effective and efficient administrative and financial systems management for the project in accordance with ILO financial rules and regulations.
18. Ensure high-level communications to increase the profile of the project in Bangladesh with national constituents, international buyers, international opinion makers and media as well as within the ILO. This includes representing the project at national and international levels.
19. As may be entrusted by the Country Director from time to time, represent the Organization and assist in promoting the activities of the Organization.
Advanced university degree in project management, social sciences, preferably with a specialisation in social insurance.
Minimum of 10 years of professional experience of which at least 7 years at the international level in managerial positions
Experience in social security, insurance scheme, government liaison would be preferable.
Experience in working in the developing country, in South Asia would be preferable.
Demonstrated and recognized managerial leadership skills.
Demonstrated and recognized policy advisory skills.
Excellent command of English is required. Good working knowledge of another language would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities, to act with integrity and transparency by maintaining social, ethical and organisational norms, and to meet all commitments within the prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Ability to develop clear strategic goals consistent with the project/programme's objectives, and to design and synthesise strategies for programme development;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Excellent leadership skills, ability to work effectively in a team and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to formulate new concepts and methodologies,
- Ability to promote knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office, and to focus and guide others to meet objectives at individual and group level;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write accurate reports and to build networks to obtain cooperation with partners;
- Should be open to and able to make changes to accommodate culture and gender differences in order to interact effectively with individuals;
- Proven capacity to initiate and implement technical co-operation programmes and activities with ILO constituents and NGOs, including negotiation skills with governments, social partners and to mobilise the support of international donor agencies and provide quality services;
- Ability to plan and support the development of individual's skills and abilities for a more effective fulfilment of current or future job/role responsibilities;
- Develop self-awareness and show empathy by demonstrating the qualities, traits, or attributes that contribute to the ability to effectively relate to and identify with others.
- Ability to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or environment, and to adjust effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures;
- Drive to seek or encourage others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to organisation problems and opportunities for improvement.
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR WRITTEN TEST.|
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.|
|APPENDIX II CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT|
Please note that the above salary levels are determined according to the criteria established by the International Civil Service Commission. The ILO is international public sector employer and salary and other employment conditions are not negotiable.
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment:
Recruitment is normally made at the initial step in the grade.
Salaries and emoluments are exempt from taxation by the Swiss authorities and, on the basis of international agreements or national law relating to presence or residence abroad, are generally exempt from taxation by other governments. In the absence of exemption, in most cases tax paid will be reimbursed in accordance with an ILO document which will be supplied upon request.
While the successful candidate will be initially working in Dhaka, he/she may be assigned to any duty station designated by the Director-General of the ILO.
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.|
To apply, please visit ILO's e-Recruitment website at: erecruit.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.|
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
The consultant/s shall be requested to perform various tasks related to the projects, products, applications and services managed by the IC...
Η Μόνιμη Αντιπροσωπεία της Κύπρου στην ΕΕ δέχεται αιτήσεις για 1 κενή θέση Γραφέα/Δακτυλογράφου με όρους επιτόπιου προσωπικού, στη βάση πλή...
EUREKA is an intergovernmental network that promotes and supports transnational research and development activities, many involving small...
Die oberfränkische CSU-Europaabgeordnete Monika Hohlmeier sucht für ihr Büro im Europäischen Parlament in Brüssel eine/n parlamentarische...
Key Tasks and Responsibilities Assist EVPA’s Head of Policy as well as Public Affairs Manager in the implementation of EVPA policy-relate...
Systems Consultant - ( 1700001V ) Description The consultant/s will undertake several sub-tasks that fall under the domain...
MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK1 MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK2 MATOKEO YA KIDATO...
STAFF VACANCIES Ref. 1703TAAD7 The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA) is an independent advisory body to the ...
European Schoolnet is searching for an enthusiastic intern with technical skills to join its School Education Gateway Team. The School ...
Researcher (100 % - 1 Year) The United Nations University Institute on Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS) and the Instit...
Accountant ACDI/VOCA ACTED Action Against Hunger ActionAid ADB African Development Bank ADB Asian Development Bank Administrative Administrative Assistant Advisor Afdb African Development Bank Afghanistan afr Africa Development Bank Africa Nazarene University Africa Union African Barrick Gold Africare AfricaRice Aga Khan University Agricultural Airtel Jobs Algeria American Embassy American Bar Association American Red Cross Amnesty Amnesty International Amref AngloGold Ashanti Angola Argentina ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK ASIA JOBS Asian Development Bank AdB AU AFRICAN UNION Auditor Australia Austria Aviation Jobs BA British Airways Bank for International Settlements BANK JOBS BANK OF RWANDA Bank of Tanzania Barclays Bank Barrick Gold BBC WORLD SERVICE Belgian Development Agency Belgium Brussels BiRD Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy Botswana Brazil British Council British Red Cross Burkina Faso Burundi CANADA Cardno Care International Carter Center Catholic Relief Services Chad CHAI Clinton Health Access Initiative Chemonics International Chevron ChildFund International Chile CHINA Christian Aid CIMMYT International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center Civil Engineers Climate Change Coca-Cola Company Coffey International COMESA Commonwealth Communications Officer Community Development Congo Conservation International Consultancy COOPI Côte d'Ivoire Crown Agents Group Danish Refugee Council (DRC) DataBase Management Dell Deloitte Denmark DFID DHL Diageo Director DRC Democratic Republic of the Congo DRIVER EAC EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY EAST AFRICA COMMUNITY Economist ECOWAS Education Egerton University EGPAF Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGYPT Electrical Engineer Electrical Engineering Embassy Jobs EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory Energy Careers EngenderHealth Engineering England Environmental Ethiopia Etihad Airways EU Delegation European Union Jobs Family Health International Fao Food and Agriculture Organization FHI360 Fiji FINANCE Finance and Administration Finca Finland Ford Foundation France Freedom House Futures Group Geita Gold Mine GEOLOGIST Germany Ghana Goal Ireland Gold Fields Goldfields Google Jobs Governance Greenpeace Guatemala Haiti HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL Health and Medical HEALTH JOBS HelpAge International Honduras HOTEL JOBS Huawei Human Resources Human Rights Human Rights Watch I-TECH IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency IATA Air Transport Association IAVI International AIDS Vaccine Initiative IBM Software Group ICAP ICC International Criminal Court ICT JOBS IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development IFC International Finance Corporation IGAD region IITA International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ILO International Labour Organization ILRI International Livestock Research Institute IMF International Monetary Fund Indonesia Industrial Insurance Inter-American Development Bank International AIDS Society International Alert International Criminal Court INTERNATIONAL GRAINS COUNCIL International Potato Center (CIP) International Rescue Committee Internews Europe INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Internships INTERPOL IntraHealth IOM International Organization for Migration Iraq IRC International Rescue Committee IRCT International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims Islamic development bank Islamic Relief Israel Italy ITU International Telecommunications Union IUCN The International Union for Conservation IWMI International Water Management Institute J/P HRO Japan Jhpiego JOB IN INDIA Jobs in India JOBS IN RWANDA Jordan KCB Kenya Commercial Bank Kenya Airways Kenyatta University Korea KPMG Kuwait Latin America Lecturer LEGAL JOBS Lesotho Liberia LIBRARIAN Libya Logistics LWR Lutheran World Relief Maersk Makerere University Malaria Consortium Malawi Malaysia Mali Management Systems International (MSI) MANAGERS Marie Stopes International Marketing MCC Millennium Challenge Corporation Mechanical Engineer Médecins Sans Frontières MEDIA JOBS Mekong River Commission Mercy Corps Mexico Microsoft Middle East Jobs MINING Moi University Mombasa Monitoring and Evaluation Manager Mozambique Msh Management Sciences for Health MTN Group Myanmar Namibia National University of Rwanda NATO Nederland NEPAD Netherlands New Zealand NGO JOBS Nigeria Nokia Norway Norwegian Refugee Council OCHA UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Office Attendants Oikocredit Oil and Gas OPEC Open Society Foundations Operations Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Oxfam Pact International PAHO Pan American Health Organization Pakistan Pan American Health Organization Panama Path International Pathfinder International Peace Corps Peru PHILIPPINES Plan International Poland Presbyterian University of East Africa Procurement Progressio Psi Population Services International Public Relation Puma Energy PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers Qatar Quality Assurance RECEPTIONISTS RECORDS MANAGEMENT Red Cross Jobs Republic of Kenya Researcher Restless Development Revenue Watch Institute Rio Tinto Room to Read Russia SABMiller SADC SAFARICOM JOBS SALES Sales and Marketing Saudi Arabia Save The Children Scholarships SECRETARY SECURITY JOBS Senegal Shell Group Shelter For Life Sierra Leone Sightsavers International Singapore SNV International Software Engineering SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE Solidarités International somalia Sony Ericsson South Africa South America South Sudan Jobs Spain SPC Secretariat of the pacific community Sri Lanka sSierra Leone Standard Bank Group STATISTICIAN Stores SUPPLIES OFFICER Survey Swaziland Sweden Switzerland TANESCO Tanzania Tanzania Investment Bank Teaching TECHNICIANS Technoserve TELECOM JOBS Tender Tetra Tech ARD Thailand The Commonwealth The European Chemicals Agency Tigo Timor Leste Togo Tourism Tourism and Hospitality Toyota Transparency International (TI) Trócaire Tunisia Turkey UGANDA JOBS UK United KingDom UNAIDS UNDP UNESCO UNFPA UNICEF Unilever Careers United Arab Emirates United Nations Jobs United States Of America UNIVERSITY University of Cambridge University of Edinburgh University of Ghana University of Nairobi University of Oxford University of Pretoria University of Swaziland Unwomen US Embassy USAID Utumishi Jobs Vodacom Vodafone Group Volunteers VSO War Child International WaterAid International Web Development WEST AFRICA JOBS Western Union Company Wetlands InternationaL WFP World Food Programme Winrock International World Bank Jobs World Food Programme World Health Organization World Society for the Protection of Animals World Vision Jobs WorldFish Center WWF International Yahoo Yemen Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe