Project Manager – MLN Diagnostics and Management
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an experienced, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Project Manager MLN Diagnostics and Management in the CIMMYT Global Maize Program (GMP) to support the Project Leader in efficient implementation of the project, and to facilitate informed decision making on the technical, managerial and financial aspects of the project.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s office in Nairobi, Kenya, but will interact with relevant CIMMYT’s experimental stations and regional offices in Africa on a regular basis.
- Liaise effectively with NPPOs and seed/grain trade associations in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) for effectively controlling the spread and impact of MLN, through a functional community of practice.
- Work closely with partners to ensure that the commercial seed sector in eastern Africa is adequately backstopped and monitored in terms of implementing SOPs for producing MLN-free clean seed in the maize seed value chain.
- Prepare project technical and financial reports in consultation with the Project Leader and team members, and report timely to the donor.
- Provide strong support to the Project Leader in developing annual workplans and monitoring their execution against the project baseline, including activities, deliverables, schedule, and associated costs, and ensure that the project workplan is regularly updated in the CIMMYT's Research Management System.
- In coordination with the CIMMYT-GMP Director, ensure effective deployment of staff and other resources, including staff time allocation to the project.
- Effectively manage partners'/stakeholders' expectations, and conduct quality assurance of project deliverables, including monitoring of the project variables (cost, effort, scope, etc.) against the project management plan and the project performance baseline.
- Prepare necessary documentation and execute project subcontracts and consultancies, ensuring full compliance with established policies and processes, monitor their implementation, and ensure smooth closure of contracts.
- Organize Project workshops and ensure responsible parties follow-up on the decisions related to project.
- Oversee the procurement and management of project assets, inventory and other resources, in alignment with CIMMYT's policy and process.
- Manage change control in the project: Influence the factors that could circumvent integrated change control so that only approved changes are implemented.
- Assist the Project Leader in knowledge capture, documenting the lessons learned, and in disseminating relevant information to the project management team.
- Monitor and evaluate contributions by project team members to facilitate performance management and appraisals.
- Ensure institutional integration of the project under the oversight of the Program Director and Knowledge Manager (and others as necessary).
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Project Management, or related field, or PhD degree in a relevant scientific field, but with strong experience in management of multi-institutional and multi-disciplinary projects.
- At least 4 to 5 years of relevant work experience, including knowledge of theories, practices and procedures of project management of R&D projects (preferably in agriculture).
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining collaborative institutional partnerships.
- Proficiency in English, with excellent written / oral communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite and in management standard software (e.g., MS Project Professional). Experience with SharePoint software is desirable.
- Solid experience in Management of project portfolio size (US $ 1-2 M annually).
- Effective team leadership and high level of responsibility and discretion.
- Ability to work well under pressure as part of a multidisciplinary and multicultural team. High level of cultural sensitivity.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online to 15838 Project Manager – MLN Diagnostics and Managementno later than Friday, 4 December 2015.
Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and attitudes stated above.
For further information on the selection process, please contact Daniel Ixtla, at email@example.com
For further information on job responsibilities, please contact Dr. B.M. Prasanna, Director, CIMMYT Global Maize Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.