|Vacancy No: CALL/P/2015/22|
Title: Specialist on International Labour Standards and Legal Issues
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
|Date: 17 November 2015|
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 30 November 2015
(12 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organization unit: ACTRAV
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
|The ILO is issuing a call for expression of interest for the position of Specialist on International Labour Standards and Legal Issues (P4).|
The selection process is not subject to the rules and procedures defined in Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
The following are eligible to apply:
- Internal candidates
- External candidates
The ILO values diversity among its staff and aims at achieving gender parity. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities.
Within the context of the ILO's efforts to promote staff mobility, any appointee should expect to take up different assignments (field and Headquarters) during their career.
Conditions of employment are described in the Appendix.
The Specialist on International Labour Standards and Legal Issues is member of the Bureau for Workers' Activities (ACTRAV) and will be located in Geneva at ILO HQ.
The Specialist on International Labour Standards and Legal Issues will be responsible for planning and organising the work developed by ACTRAV in the area of international labour standards and the ILO supervisory mechanisms within the framework of the Norms and Fundamental principles and rights at work's Team Work. He/she will liaise with and provide advice to ACTRAV's colleagues in ILO HQ, Specialists in Workers' Activities in the Regional Offices and the Turin Centre.
The official will be called upon to provide advice, promote and develop activities with the following responsibilities in the framework of the joint work within ACTRAV's Norms and Fundamental principles and rights at work' Team Work
|Description of Duties|
1. Coordinate the provision of advice to ACTRAV's Director, his/her team in HQ and in the field as well as the Turin Centre on matters related to international labour standards and legal issues and participate in official events and conferences.
2. Provide support to the Workers' Group in the context of the Governing Body, the International Labour Conference, regional and sectoral meetings, and other official or specialised meetings, including tripartite meeting of experts. He/she will liaise with relevant technical departments and units in ILO HQ.
3. Provide support, in consultation with the ACTRAV's Director, his/her team in HQ and in the field, to workers' organizations in the area of international labour standards, the ILO supervisory mechanisms and Labour Law reform processes.
4. Participate in identifying priorities and plan, organise and deliver the work developed by ACTRAV in the area of international labour standards and the ILO supervisory mechanisms. This will entail close collaboration and provision of advice to ACTRAV's teams in ILO HQ, Specialists in Workers' Activities in the Regional Offices and the Turin Centre.
5. Coordinate responses and advice to ACTRAV colleagues and workers' organizations in issues related to legislation and labour law reform, ensuring the necessary coordination with relevant ILO technical departments.
6. Draft and review ILO reports and documents in his/her area of work, ensuring that workers views are represented and their concerns and interests reflected. Draft and approve documents, communications and press releases.
7. Undertake missions to Member States to provide training and technical advice to workers' organisations on issues related to international labour standards and the ILO supervisory mechanisms.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Examine reports by governments on ILS. Examine and analyse complaints. Draft comments for presentation to and discussion with high-level committees and/or groups of experts. Provide advice to colleagues on international labour standards under the incumbent's responsibility.
2. Prepare legal opinions on a variety of legal questions or in a specialised field.
3. Prepare notes, reports and documents concerning questions of international law or labour standards, including requests for assessments on complex legal questions, for consideration by governments, the Governing Body, the International Labour Conference and the Director-General. Develop strategies for follow-up to decisions made by policy bodies.
4. Analyse draft labour legislation submitted by governments to the ILO for comments prior to adoption.
5. Undertake research and write studies on complex problems (i.e. judging compatibility between legislation and practice) relating to international labour standards, labour law and labour relations, as well as prepare general surveys, manuals and articles. Supervise the preparation of statements on questions of public international law relevant to the work of the ILO. Advise on the position to be taken by the Organization on these issues.
6. Review instruments of ratification.
7. Provide technical support to special tripartite committees established by the
Governing Body or commissions of inquiry to examine alleged infringements of ratified Conventions.
8. Represent ACTRAV at meetings, including Conference committees and industrial committees, to provide advice on legal questions or questions concerning international labour standards or labour relations. Act as adviser to Conference committees and assist in the drafting of international legal instruments and participate in preconference work, including drafting committees. Represent the Office at meetings of other international organisations.
9. Develop, plan and implement technical advisory and promotional activities, including tripartite seminars, workshops, lectures and discussion groups. Represent the Office on missions which may be of a sensitive or controversial nature and before judicial bodies. Represent the work unit on internal committees or at inter-agency meetings.
10. Participate, upon request and availability, in the secretariat of various committees dealing with legal issues or labour standards, including preparation of background material and documents, drafting records of meetings, drafting reports, etc.
Advanced university degree in labour law, industrial relations or other relevant field.
At least eight years of professional experience dealing with issues pertaining to international labour standards and workers' rights or least six years of relevant experience at the international level.
Excellent command of one ILO working language (English, French or Spanish) and good knowledge of another (one of these languages must be English). Knowledge of the three ILO working languages will be an asset.
In-depth knowledge of the work of the Organization, its policies, programmes and procedures; Excellent knowledge and understanding of workers' organisations and of labour related programmes, issues, practices and policies; Political insight and sound judgement; Discretion and high sense of responsibility, judgement and diplomacy; Ability to present and advocate policy changes in difficult circumstances; Ability to provide advice and guidance to senior-level officials, executive management and constituents and to negotiate and discuss sensitive matters with tact, discretion and authority; Ability to take initiatives, plan and organise work in accordance with the priorities established;; Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, to undertake complex policy analysis and to produce relevant reports; Good working knowledge of standard computer software;
Ability to work in a team and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds; Ability to demonstrate gender-sensitive attitude.
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR WRITTEN TEST.|
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.|
|APPENDIX II CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT|
|- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules.|
- The first contract will be issued for a twelve-month period (for Geneva-based positions) and a twenty-four month period (for non Geneva-based positions)
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
Please note that the above salary levels are determined according to the criteria established by the International Civil Service Commission. The ILO is international public sector employer and salary and other employment conditions are not negotiable.
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment:
Recruitment is normally made at the initial step in the grade.
Salaries and emoluments are exempt from taxation by the Swiss authorities and, on the basis of international agreements or national law relating to presence or residence abroad, are generally exempt from taxation by other governments. In the absence of exemption, in most cases tax paid will be reimbursed in accordance with an ILO document which will be supplied upon request.
While the successful candidate will be initially working in Geneva, he/she may be assigned to any duty station designated by the Director-General of the ILO.
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.|
To apply, please visit ILO's e-Recruitment website at: erecruit.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.|
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Victorian Auditor-General’s Office Victorian State Government Melbourne, Australia ASSISTANT AUDITOR-GENERAL x 3 Key leadership po...
MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK1 MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK2 MATOKEO YA KIDATO...
Organization Background Windle Trust Kenya was set up in 1977 by Dr. Hugh Austin Windle Pilkington mainly to support needy Kenyan studen...
EBA - European Banking Authority Contract Agent Online Training Facilitator Ref.: DOV SCU CA 01/2017 Grade: FG IV Deadline for ap...
Sandvik Mining & Rock Technology is seeking a Warehouse Coordinator Location: Chateauguay, Quebec For over 150 years the name S...
EBA - European Banking Authority Contract Agent Legal Support Officer REF: Legal CA 03/2017 Grade: FG IV Deadline for application...
B&S Europe BUSINESS & STRATEGIES IN EUROPE S.A. is an international consulting firm based in Brussels since 1991 and member of the...
Infrastructure Policy Officer The Infrastructure Policy Officer plays an important cross-office role in delivering DFIDs infrastructure ...
St Helena, South Atlantic 2 years FTC Your expression of interest is invited to bring your specialist skills to an island community. A...
The purpose of this job is to lead the way in DFID India on how India can make a greater contribution to economic diversification through ...
Accountant ACDI/VOCA ACTED Action Against Hunger ActionAid ADB African Development Bank ADB Asian Development Bank Administrative Administrative Assistant Advisor Afdb African Development Bank Afghanistan afr Africa Development Bank Africa Nazarene University Africa Union African Barrick Gold Africare AfricaRice Aga Khan University Agricultural Airtel Jobs Algeria American Embassy American Bar Association American Red Cross Amnesty Amnesty International Amref AngloGold Ashanti Angola Argentina ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK ASIA JOBS Asian Development Bank AdB AU AFRICAN UNION Auditor Australia Austria Aviation Jobs BA British Airways Bank for International Settlements BANK JOBS BANK OF RWANDA Bank of Tanzania Barclays Bank Barrick Gold BBC WORLD SERVICE Belgian Development Agency Belgium Brussels BiRD Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy Botswana Brazil British Council British Red Cross Burkina Faso Burundi CANADA Cardno Care International Carter Center Catholic Relief Services Chad CHAI Clinton Health Access Initiative Chemonics International Chevron ChildFund International Chile CHINA Christian Aid CIMMYT International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center Civil Engineers Climate Change Coca-Cola Company Coffey International COMESA Commonwealth Communications Officer Community Development Congo Conservation International Consultancy COOPI Côte d'Ivoire Crown Agents Group Danish Refugee Council (DRC) DataBase Management Dell Deloitte Denmark DFID DHL Diageo Director DRC Democratic Republic of the Congo DRIVER EAC EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY EAST AFRICA COMMUNITY Economist ECOWAS Education Egerton University EGPAF Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGYPT Electrical Engineer Electrical Engineering Embassy Jobs EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory Energy Careers EngenderHealth Engineering England Environmental Ethiopia Etihad Airways EU Delegation European Union Jobs Family Health International Fao Food and Agriculture Organization FHI360 Fiji FINANCE Finance and Administration Finca Finland Ford Foundation France Freedom House Futures Group Geita Gold Mine GEOLOGIST Germany Ghana Goal Ireland Gold Fields Goldfields Google Jobs Governance Greenpeace Guatemala Haiti HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL Health and Medical HEALTH JOBS HelpAge International Honduras HOTEL JOBS Huawei Human Resources Human Rights Human Rights Watch I-TECH IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency IATA Air Transport Association IAVI International AIDS Vaccine Initiative IBM Software Group ICAP ICC International Criminal Court ICT JOBS IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development IFC International Finance Corporation IGAD region IITA International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ILO International Labour Organization ILRI International Livestock Research Institute IMF International Monetary Fund Indonesia Industrial Insurance Inter-American Development Bank International AIDS Society International Alert International Criminal Court INTERNATIONAL GRAINS COUNCIL International Potato Center (CIP) International Rescue Committee Internews Europe INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Internships INTERPOL IntraHealth IOM International Organization for Migration Iraq IRC International Rescue Committee IRCT International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims Islamic development bank Islamic Relief Israel Italy ITU International Telecommunications Union IUCN The International Union for Conservation IWMI International Water Management Institute J/P HRO Japan Jhpiego JOB IN INDIA Jobs in India JOBS IN RWANDA Jordan KCB Kenya Commercial Bank Kenya Airways Kenyatta University Korea KPMG Kuwait Latin America Lecturer LEGAL JOBS Lesotho Liberia LIBRARIAN Libya Logistics LWR Lutheran World Relief Maersk Makerere University Malaria Consortium Malawi Malaysia Mali Management Systems International (MSI) MANAGERS Marie Stopes International Marketing MCC Millennium Challenge Corporation Mechanical Engineer Médecins Sans Frontières MEDIA JOBS Mekong River Commission Mercy Corps Mexico Microsoft Middle East Jobs MINING Moi University Mombasa Monitoring and Evaluation Manager Mozambique Msh Management Sciences for Health MTN Group Myanmar Namibia National University of Rwanda NATO Nederland NEPAD Netherlands New Zealand NGO JOBS Nigeria Nokia Norway Norwegian Refugee Council OCHA UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Office Attendants Oikocredit Oil and Gas OPEC Open Society Foundations Operations Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Oxfam Pact International PAHO Pan American Health Organization Pakistan Pan American Health Organization Panama Path International Pathfinder International Peace Corps Peru PHILIPPINES Plan International Poland Presbyterian University of East Africa Procurement Progressio Psi Population Services International Public Relation Puma Energy PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers Qatar Quality Assurance RECEPTIONISTS RECORDS MANAGEMENT Red Cross Jobs Republic of Kenya Researcher Restless Development Revenue Watch Institute Rio Tinto Room to Read Russia SABMiller SADC SAFARICOM JOBS SALES Sales and Marketing Saudi Arabia Save The Children Scholarships SECRETARY SECURITY JOBS Senegal Shell Group Shelter For Life Sierra Leone Sightsavers International Singapore SNV International Software Engineering SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE Solidarités International somalia Sony Ericsson South Africa South America South Sudan Jobs Spain SPC Secretariat of the pacific community Sri Lanka sSierra Leone Standard Bank Group STATISTICIAN Stores SUPPLIES OFFICER Survey Swaziland Sweden Switzerland TANESCO Tanzania Tanzania Investment Bank Teaching TECHNICIANS Technoserve TELECOM JOBS Tender Tetra Tech ARD Thailand The Commonwealth The European Chemicals Agency Tigo Timor Leste Togo Tourism Tourism and Hospitality Toyota Transparency International (TI) Trócaire Tunisia Turkey UGANDA JOBS UK United KingDom UNAIDS UNDP UNESCO UNFPA UNICEF Unilever Careers United Arab Emirates United Nations Jobs United States Of America UNIVERSITY University of Cambridge University of Edinburgh University of Ghana University of Nairobi University of Oxford University of Pretoria University of Swaziland Unwomen US Embassy USAID Utumishi Jobs Vodacom Vodafone Group Volunteers VSO War Child International WaterAid International Web Development WEST AFRICA JOBS Western Union Company Wetlands InternationaL WFP World Food Programme Winrock International World Bank Jobs World Food Programme World Health Organization World Society for the Protection of Animals World Vision Jobs WorldFish Center WWF International Yahoo Yemen Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe