|Vacancy No: TC/2015/RO-ARAB STATES/05|
Title: Chief Technical Advisor
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One year
|Date: 2 November 2015|
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 23 November 2015
(5 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organization unit: RO - ARAB STATES
Duty Station: Beirut, Lebanon
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the present vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their curriculum vitae online by the above date (midnight Geneva time).
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates
The International Labour Organisation (ILO) is launching a regional project in the Arab States to support its constituents to achieve fair migration. The project "Regional Fair Migration Project in the Middle East (FAIRWAY project)" contributes to implementing the ILO Fair Migration Agenda which was endorsed by ILO's tripartite constituents during the International Labour Conference of 2014, and which recognizes the Middle East as one of the main destination regions globally of migrant workers. The project is being undertaken with financial support from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), who also funded the MAGNET project, on which this new project builds.
The project takes both a country-specific and regional approach, and initiatives will revolve around low-skilled migrant workers in sectors where they predominate, i.e. construction and domestic work. The two-and-a-half year project has a three-pronged strategy: promoting labour migration-related policy change for fair migration that is informed by evidence-based policy advice; supporting improved implementation of laws and policies by strengthening institutional mechanisms and operational modalities in the target countries; and building a more conducive environment for decent work of male and female migrant workers by addressing discriminatory attitudes and actions.
The CTA will report to the Director of the Decent Work Technical Support Team. Two project staff to be recruited will be under the supervision of the incumbent.
|Description of Duties|
Under the overall guidance of the Director of the Decent Work Technical Support Team for the Arab States (DWT), and the technical supervision of the Senior Migration Specialist of the DWT in Beirut, the CTA will be responsible for the effective management and implementation of the project and will be supported in his duties by two project staff, and a range of ILO colleagues in the DWT and ILO regional office in Beirut, and country offices.
Under this responsibility, the CTA is expected to:
- Ensure overall delivery of the project, evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the project activities through regular monitoring and (where necessary) adjustment to improve programme planning and delivery, and manage the budget of the project.
- Liaise with other relevant DWT members, and relevant departments, branches and units at ILO headquarters in Geneva for technical backstopping, and with CTAs of relevant other projects for synergy and to strengthen protection and prevention messages for prospective migrant workers in countries of origin.
- Act as the head of the Secretariat to the Policy Advisory Committee (PAC); prepare background concept notes for discussions, agenda, minutes, and follow-up work on PAC activities, in close coordination with the Chair of the PAC; in close coordination with the PAC oversee the implementation of research endeavours as input to evidence-based advocacy materials and efforts; and, guided by the PAC, develop material in support of policy advice to ILO constituents on fair migration, institutional strengthening of labour migration governance, addressing flawed recruitment, addressing decent work deficits of migrant workers including in situations akin to forced labour, and the application of ILO standards.
- Assist governments and social partners in needs based capacity building, including through improving operational modalities and training; conduct seminars, workshops, technical meetings and training courses as necessary throughout the implementation of the project, while ensuring adherence to established policies and procedures; and undertake technical advisory missions, as needed, to the countries covered by the project and feedback into the PAC discussions.
- Ensure targeted and timely dissemination of information on the project through publications, research, policy briefs, press releases, as well as ensuring representation at donor meetings, and international, regional and national conferences, in close coordination with the ILO ROAS communication specialist and with communication department at ILO HQs.
- Ensure adequate coaching and performance management of staff under his/her supervision to maintain a stable and productive team over the timespan of the project.
- Maintain relations and develop cooperation with donor agencies (and in particular with SDC as the main donor), other international organizations, social partners and CSO and monitor and follow-up on joint activities.
- Provide technical inputs to ILO office documents (for sectoral meetings, technical committees, conference reports, Director General's report to ILC).
- Initiate and oversee campaigns (or join existing ones) to address negative public perceptions and attitudes of employers of migrant workers and collaborate with social partners and CSOs for outreach, media campaigns and support to migrant workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Director of the DWT/Beirut.
Advanced university degree in social sciences, economics or a related discipline.
Minimum of seven years of professional experience in project management with a focus on labour migration, anti-trafficking or related field, including three years at the international level.
Knowledge and experience of working with ILO constituents, and in Arab states is an advantage.
Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of Arabic would be a further asset.
- Strong project management skills demonstrated through prior experiences managing complex projects.
- Demonstrated technical skills in the field of labour migration, preferably with experience working on migration in Arab States.
- Strong research background and ability to synthesize research and undertake data analysis. Ability to develop training materials, alternative courses of action, and policies and present them at high-level meetings.
- Ability to produce succinct and yet informative reports and evaluate and monitor technical cooperation activities.
- Ability to connect ideas and concepts, and link up and synergize with other projects and institutions.
- Proven capacity to interact effectively (and negotiate) with government institutions, employers' and workers' organizations, non-governmental organizations, the media, migrant workers, as well as senior professionals in related fields.
- Proven track record of successful management of a small team, ability to lead and inspire
- Ability to prioritize while keeping overall view, and to stick to agreed objectives
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in an Arabic and also multi-cultural setting, and with sensitivity and respect for gender and diversity;
- Ability to work productively and cooperatively in a multi-cultural team environment, and under pressure
- Ability to unite or find convergence among diverging perspectives and to build bridges among different stakeholders.
- Perseverance to follow-up systematically on issues / processes and achieve objectives
- Excellent diplomatic skills in a demanding cultural setting;
- Drives change positively and addresses change resistance effectively;
- Promotes cooperation, supporting others and shares credit for achievements.
|APPENDIX I CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT|
Please note that the above salary levels are determined according to the criteria established by the International Civil Service Commission. The ILO is international public sector employer and salary and other employment conditions are not negotiable.
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment:
Recruitment is normally made at the initial step in the grade.
Salaries and emoluments are exempt from taxation by the Swiss authorities and, on the basis of international agreements or national law relating to presence or residence abroad, are generally exempt from taxation by other governments. In the absence of exemption, in most cases tax paid will be reimbursed in accordance with an ILO document which will be supplied upon request.
While the successful candidate will be initially working in Beirut, he/she may be assigned to any duty station designated by the Director-General of the ILO.
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.|
To apply, please visit ILO's e-Recruitment website at: erecruit.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.|
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
Η Μόνιμη Αντιπροσωπεία της Κύπρου στην ΕΕ δέχεται αιτήσεις για 1 κενή θέση Γραφέα/Δακτυλογράφου με όρους επιτόπιου προσωπικού, στη βάση πλή...
The consultant/s shall be requested to perform various tasks related to the projects, products, applications and services managed by the IC...
EUREKA is an intergovernmental network that promotes and supports transnational research and development activities, many involving small...
Die oberfränkische CSU-Europaabgeordnete Monika Hohlmeier sucht für ihr Büro im Europäischen Parlament in Brüssel eine/n parlamentarische...
Key Tasks and Responsibilities Assist EVPA’s Head of Policy as well as Public Affairs Manager in the implementation of EVPA policy-relate...
Systems Consultant - ( 1700001V ) Description The consultant/s will undertake several sub-tasks that fall under the domain...
STAFF VACANCIES Ref. 1703TAAD7 The European Insurance and Occupational Pensions Authority (EIOPA) is an independent advisory body to the ...
European Schoolnet is searching for an enthusiastic intern with technical skills to join its School Education Gateway Team. The School ...
OPEN POSITION: Fall 2017 Fundraising Gala Planner REPORTS TO: Executive Director LOCATION: Washington, DC / Remote HIRING NEED: I...
Researcher (100 % - 1 Year) The United Nations University Institute on Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS) and the Instit...
Accountant ACDI/VOCA ACTED Action Against Hunger ActionAid ADB African Development Bank ADB Asian Development Bank Administrative Administrative Assistant Advisor Afdb African Development Bank Afghanistan afr Africa Development Bank Africa Nazarene University Africa Union African Barrick Gold Africare AfricaRice Aga Khan University Agricultural Airtel Jobs Algeria American Embassy American Bar Association American Red Cross Amnesty Amnesty International Amref AngloGold Ashanti Angola Argentina ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK ASIA JOBS Asian Development Bank AdB AU AFRICAN UNION Auditor Australia Austria Aviation Jobs BA British Airways Bank for International Settlements BANK JOBS BANK OF RWANDA Bank of Tanzania Barclays Bank Barrick Gold BBC WORLD SERVICE Belgian Development Agency Belgium Brussels BiRD Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy Botswana Brazil British Council British Red Cross Burkina Faso Burundi CANADA Cardno Care International Carter Center Catholic Relief Services Chad CHAI Clinton Health Access Initiative Chemonics International Chevron ChildFund International Chile CHINA Christian Aid CIMMYT International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center Civil Engineers Climate Change Coca-Cola Company Coffey International COMESA Commonwealth Communications Officer Community Development Congo Conservation International Consultancy COOPI Côte d'Ivoire Crown Agents Group Danish Refugee Council (DRC) DataBase Management Dell Deloitte Denmark DFID DHL Diageo Director DRC Democratic Republic of the Congo DRIVER EAC EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY EAST AFRICA COMMUNITY Economist ECOWAS Education Egerton University EGPAF Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGYPT Electrical Engineer Electrical Engineering Embassy Jobs EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory Energy Careers EngenderHealth Engineering England Environmental Ethiopia Etihad Airways EU Delegation European Union Jobs Family Health International Fao Food and Agriculture Organization FHI360 Fiji FINANCE Finance and Administration Finca Finland Ford Foundation France Freedom House Futures Group Geita Gold Mine GEOLOGIST Germany Ghana Goal Ireland Gold Fields Goldfields Google Jobs Governance Greenpeace Guatemala Haiti HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL Health and Medical HEALTH JOBS HelpAge International Honduras HOTEL JOBS Huawei Human Resources Human Rights Human Rights Watch I-TECH IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency IATA Air Transport Association IAVI International AIDS Vaccine Initiative IBM Software Group ICAP ICC International Criminal Court ICT JOBS IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development IFC International Finance Corporation IGAD region IITA International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ILO International Labour Organization ILRI International Livestock Research Institute IMF International Monetary Fund Indonesia Industrial Insurance Inter-American Development Bank International AIDS Society International Alert International Criminal Court INTERNATIONAL GRAINS COUNCIL International Potato Center (CIP) International Rescue Committee Internews Europe INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Internships INTERPOL IntraHealth IOM International Organization for Migration Iraq IRC International Rescue Committee IRCT International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims Islamic development bank Islamic Relief Israel Italy ITU International Telecommunications Union IUCN The International Union for Conservation IWMI International Water Management Institute J/P HRO Japan Jhpiego JOB IN INDIA Jobs in India JOBS IN RWANDA Jordan KCB Kenya Commercial Bank Kenya Airways Kenyatta University Korea KPMG Kuwait Latin America Lecturer LEGAL JOBS Lesotho Liberia LIBRARIAN Libya Logistics LWR Lutheran World Relief Maersk Makerere University Malaria Consortium Malawi Malaysia Mali Management Systems International (MSI) MANAGERS Marie Stopes International Marketing MCC Millennium Challenge Corporation Mechanical Engineer Médecins Sans Frontières MEDIA JOBS Mekong River Commission Mercy Corps Mexico Microsoft Middle East Jobs MINING Moi University Mombasa Monitoring and Evaluation Manager Mozambique Msh Management Sciences for Health MTN Group Myanmar Namibia National University of Rwanda NATO Nederland NEPAD Netherlands New Zealand NGO JOBS Nigeria Nokia Norway Norwegian Refugee Council OCHA UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Office Attendants Oikocredit Oil and Gas OPEC Open Society Foundations Operations Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Oxfam Pact International PAHO Pan American Health Organization Pakistan Pan American Health Organization Panama Path International Pathfinder International Peace Corps Peru PHILIPPINES Plan International Poland Presbyterian University of East Africa Procurement Progressio Psi Population Services International Public Relation Puma Energy PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers Qatar Quality Assurance RECEPTIONISTS RECORDS MANAGEMENT Red Cross Jobs Republic of Kenya Researcher Restless Development Revenue Watch Institute Rio Tinto Room to Read Russia SABMiller SADC SAFARICOM JOBS SALES Sales and Marketing Saudi Arabia Save The Children Scholarships SECRETARY SECURITY JOBS Senegal Shell Group Shelter For Life Sierra Leone Sightsavers International Singapore SNV International Software Engineering SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE Solidarités International somalia Sony Ericsson South Africa South America South Sudan Jobs Spain SPC Secretariat of the pacific community Sri Lanka sSierra Leone Standard Bank Group STATISTICIAN Stores SUPPLIES OFFICER Survey Swaziland Sweden Switzerland TANESCO Tanzania Tanzania Investment Bank Teaching TECHNICIANS Technoserve TELECOM JOBS Tender Tetra Tech ARD Thailand The Commonwealth The European Chemicals Agency Tigo Timor Leste Togo Tourism Tourism and Hospitality Toyota Transparency International (TI) Trócaire Tunisia Turkey UGANDA JOBS UK United KingDom UNAIDS UNDP UNESCO UNFPA UNICEF Unilever Careers United Arab Emirates United Nations Jobs United States Of America UNIVERSITY University of Cambridge University of Edinburgh University of Ghana University of Nairobi University of Oxford University of Pretoria University of Swaziland Unwomen US Embassy USAID Utumishi Jobs Vodacom Vodafone Group Volunteers VSO War Child International WaterAid International Web Development WEST AFRICA JOBS Western Union Company Wetlands InternationaL WFP World Food Programme Winrock International World Bank Jobs World Food Programme World Health Organization World Society for the Protection of Animals World Vision Jobs WorldFish Center WWF International Yahoo Yemen Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe