|Vacancy No: CALL/P/2015/SUC|
Title: ILO Staff Union Legal Adviser P4
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract: One year fixed term, renewable
|Date: 29 September 2015|
Application Deadline (midnight Geneva time) 30 November 2015
(12 day(s) until closing deadline)
Currently accepting applications
Organization unit: SYNDICAT
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
|The attention of candidates is drawn to the fact that this is a position within the International Labour Organization (ILO) Staff Union secretariat. An appointment to this position is limited to service with the aforementioned secretariat and carries no expectation of a career in the ILO. The incumbent will report to the ILO Staff Union Committee. As such, the recruitment and selection process will be administered, and the day-to-day management of the incumbent will fall under the sole responsibility of the ILO Staff Union and are not subject to the rules and procedures defined in Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations. Annex I provides a summary of the salary, allowances and benefits offered.|
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
The ILO, like its Union, values diversity among its staff. We welcome applications from qualified women and men, including those with disabilities.
The position is located within the ILO Staff Union Committee secretariat.
In accordance with article 3 of its rules, the objects of the ILO Staff Union shall be to:
"defend and promote the professional, economic and social interests of all persons in the employment of the International Labour Organization (here-after "ILO"), particularly by the satisfactory regulation and improvement of conditions of employment, work and welfare in the widest sense; to defend the interests of persons formerly in the employment of the ILO; to cooperate with the Director-General in seeking to reach the objectives of the Organization and ensure the efficient working of the Organization; and to safeguard the status, independence and safety of all categories of staff employed by the ILO.
Moreover, the Union shall participate in defending the rights of the international civil service, in particular defending the independence, terms and conditions of employment and the safety of international civil servants. In order to promote the fundamental trade union rights and to improve international civil servants' terms and conditions of employment, the Union may work with persons from other international organizations and their associations or unions, as well as with any other similar structure."
The incumbent will provide legal advice to the Staff Union Committee and individual staff members, at headquarters and in the field, on the application and interpretation of the Staff Regulations, collective agreements, policies and procedures in force. The position reports to the Chairperson of the Staff Union Committee, whilst working in collaboration with the Coordinator of the Staff Union Committee Legal Support Unit.
|Description of Duties|
1. Provide the Committee, ILO or Staff Union representatives within the Joint Negotiating Committee (JNC) with legal advice on any proposals made by the administration concerning the terms and conditions of employment of staff or legal issues, the terms and conditions of employment at headquarters and in the field, as well as decisions relating to the United Nations common system, emerging inter alia from the General Assembly (Fifth Committee) or the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).
2. Regularly make proposals to the Staff Union Committee on the legal strategy to be adopted for a given period.
3. Draft or participate in the drafting of collective agreements or other arrangements negotiated with the ILO administration.
4. Provide any requesting member of the Union with legal assistance when drafting appeals (summaries of facts, pleadings and rulings) that are submitted to the Human Resources Development Department (HRD), the Joint Advisory Appeals Board (JAAB) and, in the last instance, the ILO Administrative Tribunal (TRIB).
5. Carry out research on the jurisprudence of the ILO Administrative Tribunal and other international courts. Prepare notes on jurisprudence that are regularly published in the Union's communications or shared with the Staff Union Committee.
6. Analyse and interpret the applicable law and international conventions (headquarters agreements) that may have an impact on ILO employees' terms and conditions of employment.
7. Individually or collectively advise members of the ILO Staff Union on issues relating to their conditions. Make proposals on individual or collective legal strategies to be adopted in certain situations.
8. During meetings organized by the Union, attend and conduct training on legal issues and the law applicable to ILO staff and advise local committees.
9. Develop, plan and implement technical advisory and promotional activities, including seminars, workshops, lectures and discussion groups with the representatives in the regions or of other international organizations. Represent the Union on missions which may be of a sensitive or controversial nature (ICSC, regional meetings, crises involving intervention by the Union or Coordinating Committee for International Staff Unions and Associations of the United Nations System. (CCISUA) Federation) and before judicial bodies (JAAB, TRIB). Represent the Union on internal committees or at inter-agency meetings.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Draft or supervise the drafting of summaries of facts or pleadings to be incorporated in judgements.
2. Research and prepare notes on jurisprudence and interpretations. Draft short summaries of pending cases.
3. Make proposals on the working arrangements of each session.
4. Verify the consistency of two-language versions of judgements.
5. Prepare analyses of judgements for inclusion in the appropriate databases.
Advanced university degree, or first level degree with two years relevant experience (in addition to the experience required below), in international administrative law.
Minimum of eight years' practical experience at the national level or at least six years at the international level in the area of international administrative law. Professional experience in the trade union movement would be an advantage.
Excellent command of two working languages of the Organization (with a preference for English and French). Working knowledge of a third language would be an advantage.
In addition to the core competencies required by the ILO (integrity and transparency, sensitivity to diversity, orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, client orientation, communication, orientation to change, takes responsibility for performance, quality orientation, collaboration), this position requires:
- Ability to apply the principles of law to the analysis of a variety of subject matters requiring interrelationships between the subject under review and existing rules and practice;
- Ability to prepare responses to enquiries and complaints in a clear and concise manner;
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to resolve a variety of legal issues and advise staff on the appropriate course of action;
- Good knowledge of ILO rules, policies and practices, in both the field and at headquarters, would be an advantage, or knowledge and practical experience in the international organizations of the United Nations system, as applicable.
- Tact and discretion, especially in dealing with confidential matters;
- Ability to work in a team (particularly with the Staff Union Committee and the Staff Union Committee Legal Support Unit);
- Sensitivity to personal and social issues;
- Commitment to the values of the international civil service and the ILO;
- Involvement in and familiarity with the trade union movement.
APPENDIX I CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The salary range of this grade is the following: with dependants: 73338 US dollars (minimum) to 93868 US dollars (maximum) including post adjustment 66737 US dollars (minimum) to 85419 US dollars (maximum); without dependants: 68294 US dollars (minimum) to 91301 US dollars (maximum) including post adjustment 62147 US dollars (minimum) to 83083 US dollars (maximum);
Other allowances and benefits subject to specific terms of appointment:
- Children's allowance (except for the first child if the dependent rate of salary is paid in respect of that child);
- Children's education grant (per child per year);
- Pension and Health Insurance schemes;
- 30 working days' annual leave;
- Assignment Grant;
- Entitlement to transport expenses of personal effects;
- Repatriation Grant;
- Home-leave travel with eligible dependants every two years;
- Rental subsidy (if applicable).
Please note that the above salary levels are determined according to the criteria established by the International Civil Service Commission. The ILO is international public sector employer and salary and other employment conditions are not negotiable.
Salaries and emoluments are exempt from taxation by the Swiss authorities and, on the basis of international agreements or national law relating to presence or residence abroad, are generally exempt from taxation by other governments. In the absence of exemption, in most cases tax paid will be reimbursed in accordance with an ILO document which will be supplied upon request.
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR WRITTEN TEST.|
|APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED DIRECTLY IF SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW.|
|Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.|
To apply, please visit ILO's e-Recruitment website at: erecruit.ilo.org. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
|The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.|
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
Wednesday, November 18, 2015
MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK1 MATOKEO YA KIDATO CHA NNE (CSEE) 2011 LINK2 MATOKEO YA KIDATO...
Stellenausschreibung Verbrauchermärkte analysieren, strukturelle Missstände aufdecken und Verbraucherprobleme benennen, Lösungen a...
Scope Global is seeking applications for the position of Information & Communications Technology (ICT) Officer under the newly esta...
Het beleven van seksualiteit moet voor ieder mens vrijwillig, veilig en fijn zijn. Met veel passie zetten wij ons daarvoor in door voor...
Purpose: To assist the development and implementation of the WMA PR and Communication strategy and be responsible for the communication r...
Airplane Mode est une association se donnant pour objectifs la promotion, la production, la diffusion de la culture et des artistes locau...
KANOFF LEGAL excels among international recruitment giants in Belgium as the sole recruiter devoted exclusively to the legal market. We h...
Stellenausschreibung Verbrauchermärkte analysieren, strukturelle Missstände aufdecken und Verbraucherprobleme benennen, Lösungen a...
Tasks and Responsibilities: Support the development of new and further development of existing IT systems (applied centralised and in ...
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to...
Accountant ACDI/VOCA ACTED Action Against Hunger ActionAid ADB African Development Bank ADB Asian Development Bank Administrative Administrative Assistant Advisor Afdb African Development Bank Afghanistan afr Africa Development Bank Africa Nazarene University Africa Union African Barrick Gold Africare AfricaRice Aga Khan University Agricultural Airtel Jobs Algeria American Embassy American Bar Association American Red Cross Amnesty Amnesty International Amref AngloGold Ashanti Angola Argentina ASIA DEVELOPMENT BANK ASIA JOBS Asian Development Bank AdB AU AFRICAN UNION Auditor Australia Austria Aviation Jobs BA British Airways Bank for International Settlements BANK JOBS BANK OF RWANDA Bank of Tanzania Barclays Bank Barrick Gold BBC WORLD SERVICE Belgian Development Agency Belgium Brussels BiRD Bureau for Institutional Reform and Democracy Botswana Brazil British Council British Red Cross Burkina Faso Burundi CANADA Cardno Care International Carter Center Catholic Relief Services Chad CHAI Clinton Health Access Initiative Chemonics International Chevron ChildFund International Chile CHINA Christian Aid CIMMYT International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center Civil Engineers Climate Change Coca-Cola Company Coffey International COMESA Commonwealth Communications Officer Community Development Congo Conservation International Consultancy COOPI Côte d'Ivoire Crown Agents Group Danish Refugee Council (DRC) DataBase Management Dell Deloitte Denmark DFID DHL Diageo Director DRC Democratic Republic of the Congo DRIVER EAC EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY EAST AFRICA COMMUNITY Economist ECOWAS Education Egerton University EGPAF Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation EGYPT Electrical Engineer Electrical Engineering Embassy Jobs EMBL - European Molecular Biology Laboratory Energy Careers EngenderHealth Engineering England Environmental Ethiopia Etihad Airways EU Delegation European Union Jobs Family Health International Fao Food and Agriculture Organization FHI360 Fiji FINANCE Finance and Administration Finca Finland Ford Foundation France Freedom House Futures Group Geita Gold Mine GEOLOGIST Germany Ghana Goal Ireland Gold Fields Goldfields Google Jobs Governance Greenpeace Guatemala Haiti HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL Health and Medical HEALTH JOBS HelpAge International Honduras HOTEL JOBS Huawei Human Resources Human Rights Human Rights Watch I-TECH IAEA International Atomic Energy Agency IATA Air Transport Association IAVI International AIDS Vaccine Initiative IBM Software Group ICAP ICC International Criminal Court ICT JOBS IFAD International Fund for Agricultural Development IFC International Finance Corporation IGAD region IITA International Institute of Tropical Agriculture ILO International Labour Organization ILRI International Livestock Research Institute IMF International Monetary Fund Indonesia Industrial Insurance Inter-American Development Bank International AIDS Society International Alert International Criminal Court INTERNATIONAL GRAINS COUNCIL International Potato Center (CIP) International Rescue Committee Internews Europe INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES Internships INTERPOL IntraHealth IOM International Organization for Migration Iraq IRC International Rescue Committee IRCT International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims Islamic development bank Islamic Relief Israel Italy ITU International Telecommunications Union IUCN The International Union for Conservation IWMI International Water Management Institute J/P HRO Japan Jhpiego JOB IN INDIA Jobs in India JOBS IN RWANDA Jordan KCB Kenya Commercial Bank Kenya Airways Kenyatta University Korea KPMG Kuwait Latin America Lecturer LEGAL JOBS Lesotho Liberia LIBRARIAN Libya Logistics LWR Lutheran World Relief Maersk Makerere University Malaria Consortium Malawi Malaysia Mali Management Systems International (MSI) MANAGERS Marie Stopes International Marketing MCC Millennium Challenge Corporation Mechanical Engineer Médecins Sans Frontières MEDIA JOBS Mekong River Commission Mercy Corps Mexico Microsoft Middle East Jobs MINING Moi University Mombasa Monitoring and Evaluation Manager Mozambique Msh Management Sciences for Health MTN Group Myanmar Namibia National University of Rwanda NATO Nederland NEPAD Netherlands New Zealand NGO JOBS Nigeria Nokia Norway Norwegian Refugee Council OCHA UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Office Attendants Oikocredit Oil and Gas OPEC Open Society Foundations Operations Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Oxfam Pact International PAHO Pan American Health Organization Pakistan Pan American Health Organization Panama Path International Pathfinder International Peace Corps Peru PHILIPPINES Plan International Poland Presbyterian University of East Africa Procurement Progressio Psi Population Services International Public Relation Puma Energy PwC PricewaterhouseCoopers Qatar Quality Assurance RECEPTIONISTS RECORDS MANAGEMENT Red Cross Jobs Republic of Kenya Researcher Restless Development Revenue Watch Institute Rio Tinto Room to Read Russia SABMiller SADC SAFARICOM JOBS SALES Sales and Marketing Saudi Arabia Save The Children Scholarships SECRETARY SECURITY JOBS Senegal Shell Group Shelter For Life Sierra Leone Sightsavers International Singapore SNV International Software Engineering SOKOINE UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE Solidarités International somalia Sony Ericsson South Africa South America South Sudan Jobs Spain SPC Secretariat of the pacific community Sri Lanka sSierra Leone Standard Bank Group STATISTICIAN Stores SUPPLIES OFFICER Survey Swaziland Sweden Switzerland TANESCO Tanzania Tanzania Investment Bank Teaching TECHNICIANS Technoserve TELECOM JOBS Tender Tetra Tech ARD Thailand The Commonwealth The European Chemicals Agency Tigo Timor Leste Togo Tourism Tourism and Hospitality Toyota Transparency International (TI) Trócaire Tunisia Turkey UGANDA JOBS UK United KingDom UNAIDS UNDP UNESCO UNFPA UNICEF Unilever Careers United Arab Emirates United Nations Jobs United States Of America UNIVERSITY University of Cambridge University of Edinburgh University of Ghana University of Nairobi University of Oxford University of Pretoria University of Swaziland Unwomen US Embassy USAID Utumishi Jobs Vodacom Vodafone Group Volunteers VSO War Child International WaterAid International Web Development WEST AFRICA JOBS Western Union Company Wetlands InternationaL WFP World Food Programme Winrock International World Bank Jobs World Food Programme World Health Organization World Society for the Protection of Animals World Vision Jobs WorldFish Center WWF International Yahoo Yemen Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe