Foreign and Commonwealth Office
A new, fixed term full time vacancy has become available as a Protocol Officer in Corporate Services Benelux (CSB). Corporate Services Benelux provides support to the FCO’s missions in Brussels.
Applications should be sent with full C.V. and covering letter including a supporting statement setting out how applicants meet the essential skills required for this post (300 words max.), to the attention of the Recruitment Officer, Corporate Services Benelux; (email@example.com).
This challenging position offers the opportunity to work at the heart of the Corporate Services team, leading on Protocol for the FCO’s Missions in Belgium.
As the expert in Belgian Protocol rules and procedures for our organisation, the Protocol officer will provide advice and support within the UK Missions, as well as play an integral part of the HR team in supporting the UK-based officers at Post.
The ideal candidate will be someone with high levels of organisation, motivation, flexibility and perseverance, as well as excellent communication skills, with fluent English, French and Dutch (both spoken and written).
1. Managing and administering Protocol matters for the UK Embassy, the UK representation to the EU (UKREP), the British Consulate-General, and Corporate Services Benelux. This involves managing all applications to Protocol on behalf of the Missions, in areas such as:
- Application for diplomatic id cards and number plates;
- Privileges and Immunities, duty-free and VAT exemption, Customs clearance for UK-based officers’ private purchases;
- Heavy baggage and UAF on arrival and departure of UK-based officers.
Some support might be required for the British Embassy in Luxembourg
2. Continuously improving the expertise and advisory role by :
- Maintaining contacts with Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Belgian Customs and Belgian VAT Administration;
- Regular contacts with other Embassies on general Protocol issues when necessary;
- Planning and implementing relevant changes in procedures from Protocol and Ministry of Finance.
3. Being an active member of the HR team, contributing to the UK-Based officers’ support process.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent organisation, administrative and prioritisation skills.
- Proven ability to plan, organise and meet deadlines;
- Ability to take responsibility and show initiative;
- Perseverance and poise;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to administer complex technical processes, as well as understand their significance and impact at a higher level;
- High level of customer service skills;
- Excellent writing skills. Ability to write engagingly and to communicate convincingly with different audiences;
- Self-driven and able to work both autonomously and in collaboration with others
- Good IT skills;
- Fluent English; excellent working knowledge of French and Dutch.
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience with protocol
- Experience or knowledge of the Belgium Administration;
This position will be filled on a 2 year fixed term contract.
Gross monthly salary: € 2241.27
Applications with a full CV in English should be sent to the Recruitment Officer, (firstname.lastname@example.org), CSB, Avenue d’Auderghem 10, 1040 Brussels by 28 October 2011. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Belgium.
Only applicants called for interview will be contacted.
Interviews will be held soon after the closing date with a view to the successful applicant starting work at the end of September, subject to security clearance and administrative processes.
The British Missions in Brussels are an equal opportunities employer. Applications are welcome from all suitably qualified applicants regardless of age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or physical disability. We aim to reflect the diversity of society.