Danish Demining Group (DDG) was established in 1998 and undertakes all aspects of mine action, incl. mine and EOD clearance, mine risk education, victim assistance, advocacy and stockpile destruction. DDG currently operates in Afghanistan, Somaliland and Somalia, Sri Lanka, Iraq, Chechnya, and Sudan. As an organisation under the Danish Refugee Council (DRC), DDG’s work is conducted in close co-operation with DRC’s activities whenever feasible.
DRC is a non-profit, private, humanitarian organisation, which aim is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons against persecution and to promote durable solutions based on humanitarian principles and human rights, both in Denmark and internationally. Support and capacity building of local and national authorities and NGOs form an integrated part of the work as does relief work and other humanitarian aid, rehabilitation, support to return and repatriation, and the removal of landmines.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) has operated in Afghanistan since 1999. At present the total work force consist of approximately 800 national employees involved in manual demining, manual surface and sub surface clearance, mechanical clearance, mine risk education and awareness and EOD work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervise all administrative and financial matters related to the DDG mission in Afghanistan, humanitarian as well as commercial;
• Support the Operations on all matters related to field operations (primarily national and international personnel, payroll and disciplinary actions);
• Provide support to financial and administrative staff in financial and administration procedures;
• Prepare and deliver administrative and financial reports in a timely manner;
• Establish and maintain continuous liaison with the DDG administrative and financial functions in Copenhagen;
• Prepare timely monthly cash forecast for the Afghan programme and ensure appropriate cash flow and monitor the “burn rate”;
• Ensure compliance to DRC Operational handbook as provided by DDG head office and donor requirements;
• Supervise the appropriate DDG/DRC accounting system (NAVISION (Excel-version)) and monitor national counterparts to manage the program;
• Plan and monitor international and national staff employment according to programme budget lines to maintain a full compliment of staff members;
• In cooperation with the PM and Operation take an active role in staff recruitment for the Afghan programme; and
• Promote initiative and teamwork amongst all staff members to increase cooperation and the development of indigenous capacity to manage mine action projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Provide liaison with Afghan authorities, donors, Mine Action Coordination Centre Afghanistan (MACCA), Department of Mine Clearance (DMC) and other stakeholder/partner organisations in mine action and development; and
• Assist the PM with administrative and financial matters when writing proposals and reports to the above stakeholders/partners;
• Focal point for matters related to bank and insurance.
The ideal candidate must have a positive mental attitude and the ability to work with national and international colleagues in a remote and harsh environment under demanding circumstances.
In addition, the following skills and experience are most desirable:
• Previous experience in financial/administrative management for an international non-governmental organisation (NGO);
• Proven human resources management skills;
• Above average interpersonal and staff development capabilities;
• A working knowledge of NAVISION financial software and/or similar programs;
• An understanding and familiarity of the legal principles of international financial transactions;
• Proven experience in effective report writing and proposal development for donor appeals;
• An understanding of indigenous customs and courtesies as well as an ability to relate to local cultural sensitivities (experience in Iraq or the middle east an advantage);
• Diplomatic, patient and persistent;
• Fluency in written and spoken English; and
• A proven knowledge of Word, Excel and Internet.
The FAM refers to the DDG Programme Manager for Afghanistan.
Contract: App. 6-12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary and other conditions in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates (can be found onwww.drc.dk under Vacancies). The position is placed at level B4/B5.
You are welcome to contact Head of Desk Lene Rasmussen on telephone +45 3373 5118 or on email:email@example.com for further information on the programme and the position.
Please note that applications are NOT to be sent to Mrs. Rasmussen. We only accept applications sent via our on-line system at www.drc.dk under Vacancies/Current vacancies/ DDG Finance & Administration Manager - Afghanistan. Applications sent directly to Ms. Rasmussen WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
APPLICATION AND CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications sent together with a CV, in English and marked ”DDG FAM - Afghanistan”, will be considered.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies/Current vacancies/ DDG Finance & Administration Manager – Afghanistan. Please remember to include a letter of application and your CV.
Applications are to be sent to no later than 31. October 2011.
Please contact Anne Oxholm, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you experience problems with your on-line application.