The Technical Lead will be responsible for managing highly complex desktop-related engineering projects that are managed by the Desktop Engineering Group (DEG), under the Desktop Integration Team.
DEG is responsible for defining, configuring, and implementing the desktop standards for Headquarters, remote offices, and Resident Representatives machines (both Windows and Mac endpoints.) The group also evaluates and implements new technologies to improve the user experience with the endpoints, and maintain the core components that compose the workstation image.
In addition, DEG evaluates, configures, implements and maintains both the backend infrastructure and clients for all the endpoint security solutions such as anti-virus, hard drive and external drive encryption, desktop application whitelisting, and host firewall.
DEG is responsible for the architecture of the enterprise software distribution solution (Marimba), its implementation and maintenance. Therefore, DEG manages the Marimba backend infrastructure, and the endpoint clients, and keeps them up to date.
DEG works closely with the Configuration Management Group (CMG) to ensure a reliable, and integrated desktop environment. In addition, DEG will work in coordination with the Problem Management Group (DPMG) to identify and resolve any systemic issues pertaining to the desktop configuration.
- Assisting in managing DEG. Helping in prioritizing the work for the group, and ensuring that resources are properly allocated to meet client/business needs
- Assisting with the maintenance of the DEG budget, and with developing business cases and funding requests for projects
- Providing technical leadership and strategic vision by proposing new IT approaches for the maintenance and support of the desktop environment configuration and tools
- Evaluating new security- and desktop-related solutions to improve the desktop reliability, performance and maintenance
- Managing DEG highly visible projects to ensure that deadlines are met
- Developing, evaluating and reporting key performance metrics for the desktop environment
- Coordinating with DPMG to resolve systemic issues in the desktop environment
- Communicating with the Help Desk, and stakeholders
The candidate must possess the following:
- Hands-on experience in the different operating systems (Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Mac OS)
- Hands-on experience with virtualization (desktop and application)
- Proven experience in a desktop engineering role (at an architect/principal level)
- Deep understanding of Microsoft Windows architecture
- Knowledge in desktop performance and maintenance tools
- Leadership qualities
- Strong (verbal and written) communication skills
Additional desirable experience:
- Experience with a help desk ticketing system
- Strong hands-on experience in project management
Advanced university degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics or related field of study or equivalent, plus a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience; or a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field of study plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience, is required.