The principal purpose is to provide analytical review of historical data and provide forward looking information to decision makers to allow management to make well informed operational and capital investment decisions.
Reporting of the plans requires concise communication and a very high degree of accuracy, as the information is provided for the OPCOM, BD8 report for the specific operational management teams, as well as the reports and presentations to Barrick Gold, the Senior Leadership team and other relevant stakeholders (financial markets). He/She will report into the Director -Planning or Designate.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Assist in the preparation, coordination and analysis of the monthly internal management reports and complete the rolling forecast for the required period in compliance with group reporting deadlines;
• Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities to further streamline and/or automate the reporting cycle, including optimization of the current application system (HPM) and opportunities to reduce cycle time as appropriate;
• Maintain and adhere to established SOX/normal internal controls, modify/update as required and assist in providing documented evidence of such compliance;
• Meet established internal and external deadlines to ensure timely planning and management reporting and maintain monthly tracking of external submissions and other key metrics;
• Liaise with various internal departments, including tax, treasury, accounting policy group, planning and investor relations, to provide reports or information as required;
• Communicate effectively with site/corporate units to coordinate the timely submission of management reporting and planning related information and interpreting these submissions;
• Ensure appropriate integration between financial accounting systems and reporting tools to enable accurate and timely reporting;
• Assist with the design and implementation of computer assisted financial analysis & reports (primarily HPB);
• Participate in and support special projects as required;
• Responsible for administration, development, maintenance and integrity of the generic planning models/ systems including integration and analysis of the data for the required mine sites;
• Timely analysis and reporting of long term budgets and strategic plans;
• Monthly coordination, consolidation, analysis and reporting of the monthly OPCOM, rolling forecast, including the provision of meaningful query and analysis on forecast data for specific mining areas prior to consolidation and submission to the SLT
• Use discretion in applying practices and procedures to resolve issues, demonstrate a broad and thorough understanding and application of technical and /or specialized concepts and knowledge in the business and
• Capture and communicate savings/ benefits as a result of the process.
PROFESSIONAL AND INTERPERSONAL DETAILS
A bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance, (CA/CIMA will be preferential).
At least 2 years experience in a planning role/ management accountant role, Experience in a role which requires a co-ordination of multiple processes, Financial mining experience will be beneficial
A driven individual that understands and takes ownership of issues, and demonstrates the ability to build relationships with the mine sites in order to ensure ongoing accurate and timely reporting of results and plans. The candidate must be a strong team player that makes tough decisions and ensures accurate and complete management and planning reporting within the assigned areas for both. The individual must be willing to travel since it will be an essential part of the job and be prepared to take up potential mini secondments if required.
• Good organizational planning and communications skills to be able to coordinate data from, and report to all levels within the organization
• IFRS knowledge and exposure
• Foreign currency translation in addition to forecasting, budgeting, planning and modeling skills.
• Demonstrate complex problem solving abilities as well as being able to complete work at both the big picture and a very detailed level
• Strong conceptual and analytical thinking ability
• Strong influencing skills, decisiveness and initiative
• The ability to work independently and under little supervision
• Computer literacy: MS Excel, MS Word, MS Power Point, MS Outlook, (Hyperion Planning and Budgeting a Plus)