The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Webmaster with high level of commitment to assist the Communications and Public Awareness Department (CPAD) in the management of CIP’s online communications platforms.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the Consortium of the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), a network of 15 research centers mostly located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
The position: This position will be based in Lima, Perú and will report directly to the Head of the Communications and Public Awareness Department. The Webmaster supervises one staff person (Web Specialist) and is responsible for implementing the organization’s internal and external digital communications strategies.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Overseeing and implementing CIP’s website development (40%)
- Implement and/or oversee the backend and frontend development tasks for new websites and functionalities for the existing websites with Plone and Confluence technologies making use of source code and task management tools
- Plan the roadmaps and organize the harmonization of CIP’s web branding by implementing new templates and styles for the existing websites according to the style guidelines
- Plan and organize the implementation of appropriate metadata to aid in site indexing and improved searchability.
Ensuring website uptime, running typical maintenance tasks and analyze the usage statistics (25%)
- Ascertain the uptime of the the main website and other platforms in his/her responsibility
- Enhance the optimization by ensuring optimal page loads and integration with external databases and web platforms
- Debug and troubleshoot the issues that arise with the performance of the website including content, links, and transaction logs
- Review statistics and monitor metrics using Google Analytics
- Plan for future changes and improvements to the website
- Maintain full operational status the CIP’s web servers and databases, as well as provide full web coordination and coverage
- Analyze and interpret website impact on users and users' needs.
Overseeing the status of the content owner network and giving web assistance and workshops for collaborative web publishing (30%)
- Identify and plan the critical training needs for web publishing; implement the training workshops in Spanish and in English via face-to-face meetings as well as via Skype to different country offices in Africa and Asia
- Oversee and make sure that site content owners are keeping their content up to date
- Ascertain that the design complies with CIP standards and guidelines. Monitor the timeliness and relevance of website information.
Participate in the CIP’s web strategy and IT leadership teams (5%)
- Collaborate with management, business units, regional offices and IT department to determine the main website’s (www.cipotato.org) purpose, functions, requirements and long-term strategy and roadmaps too
- Create roadmaps and plans to implement new functionalities to CIP websites and new websites for programs and projects
- Participate in the organization’s Knowledge Management and IT Leadership Team
- Research emerging technologies and services that may enhance the Web experience and make recommendations to management.
Conditions: The position will be based in Lima, Peru. This position is local and the employment contract will be for a one-year term with six month probation period and the possibility of renewal. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply by email, sending a letter of motivation and C.V. in English language, and the names and contact information of three references knowledgeable about your professional qualifications and work experience to CIP-Recruitment@cgiar.org. The reference name of the position should be clearly marked in the subject line of the email message. The deadline for applications is July 31, 2012. All applications will be acknowledged, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply