Ref.: 12-64 VCA/NRS/LAC
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and resourceful research professional to support the implementation of the value chain strategy across LAC, and to contribute to the CGIAR Research Programs (CRP) on pro-poor analysis and value chain development.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations.
The Position: This position will be based in Quito, Ecuador and will report to the Value Chain Specialist for LAC. This position will support the implementation of the value chain strategy across Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) to contribute to the CGIAR Research Programs (CRP) on pro-poor market analysis and value chain development, assessment, and upgrading for highland potatoes and for other Andean roots and tubers.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Analyze pro-poor market to identify specific needs for upgrading technology, management and organization in value chains
- Participate in studies and capacity building activities related to the planning, implementation and evaluation of action-oriented research on agricultural markets and value chains, to develop methodologies applicable to major projects
- Promote and advise the inclusion of the value chain dimension in regional projects, from the design to the implementation phase, to increase the project’s impact
- Contribute to knowledge sharing regarding marketing and value chains between regions and between all major CGIAR Research Programs (CRP) in which CIP is involved
- Contribute to other relevant CRP themes and CIP projects referencing value chains including value chain components in all major CGIAR Research Programs (CRP) in which CIP is involved
- MSc degree in marketing, postharvest processing, applied social sciences or agribusiness
- At least five years of experience participating in the implementation of value chains through participatory approaches, linking producers to final consumers
- Record of relevant international publications
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment, prior experience participating in multidisciplinary projects is a plus
- Project management skills
- Excellent written and spoken English is relevant. Fluency in Spanish is preferred
Conditions: This position is local. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply by email, sending a letter of interest, a full C.V., and the names and contact information of three references knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The reference name of the position should be clearly marked in the subject line of the email message. Screening of applications will begin in August 10, 2012 and will continue until the post is filled.
All applications will be acknowledged, only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply.