TANZANIA FISHERIES RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Tanzania Fisheries Research Institute (TAFIRI) was established by the Act of Parliament No. 6 of 1980 to promote, conduct, supervise, and co-ordinate fisheries research in Tanzania. The Institute is governed by the Board of Directors. This Institute is comprised of four Centres and one Substation: Mwanza Centre and Sota Substation on Lake Victoria, Kigoma Centre on Lake Tanganyika, Kyela Centre on Lake Nyasa and
Dar es Salaam Centre on the Indian Ocean. The Institute Headquarters is located at
Kunduchi in Dar es Salaam.
1.1 DIRECTOR OF FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION I – 1 POST
1.1.1 DUTY STATION: HEADQUARTERS
1.1.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Shall be the Head of the Directorate of Finance & Administration, and Member of the TAFIRI Management Committee
• Shall be the Chief Advisor of the Director General in all Financial/Supplies and
Administrative/Human Resources matters;
• Shall plan, coordinate and control financial/supplies and administrative/human resources matters;
• Shall establish and maintain accounting system in accordance with acceptable financial regulations of the Institute;
• Shall prepare, in accordance with accepted accounting principles, periodic and annual accounts reports of the Institute;
• Shall ensure that the Director General is supplied with up to date information necessary for discharging his responsibilities relating to financial/supplies and administrative/human resources matters;
• Shall be responsible for keeping the Director General up to date in regards to the movement of the finances of the Institute by supplying such information and at such frequency as the Director General may direct.
• Shall be the overall financial advisor to all other Heads of Directorates and Research Centres in respect of their financial obligations to the Institute and in so doing he/she shall ensure that strict economy is exercised and may inform the Director General if in his/her opinion, any Directorate Head or Centre Director fails to respond satisfactorily to advice and direction regarding efficient and economic discharge of his/her financial responsibility to the Institute.
• Shall develop and administer TAFIRI Master Budget in cooperation with other
Directorates and Departmental Heads;
• Shall be responsible in implementing the personnel and administration policies of the Institute;
• Shall be responsible for human resources planning and development;
• Shall be responsible for initiating the recruitment and appointment of such staff as he/she considers suitable to his requirements in fulfilling his/her Directorate’s obligation;
• May delegate any of the authorities and/or responsibilities under him to any person in his/her Directorate, but shall still be accountable for the action of such person(s);
• Shall perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Director General.
1.1.3 QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• CPA (T), ACCA, CA or equivalent, and must be registered by the National Board of Accountants and Auditors Tanzania (NBAA) as Authorised Accountant/Auditor.
• Training in Public/Business Administration or Human Resources Management or equivalent qualification shall be added advantage.
• Should have at least eight (8) years of working experience in finance, accountancy and administration in a reputable organisation, three (3) of which should be in senior position;
• Must have the ability to provide dynamic administrative leadership to the Institute.
• He/She must be computer literate.
1.1.4 REMUNERATION: PGSS 20
1.1.5 TENURE: Five (5) years contract, renewable once on satisfactory service.
1.2 SENIOR RESEARCH OFFICER I – 1 POST
1.2.1 DUTY STATION: DAR ES SALAAM
1.2.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identify and assess facilities for specific research officers and technician.
• Work with, supervise and train other officers and technicians.
• Carry out independent and planned research activities.
1.2.3 QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Masters degree in Natural or Social Science plus eight (8) years of research work experience and at least four (4) scientific publications after Masters.
1.2.4 REMUNERATION: PRSS 9/10
1.2.5 TENURE: Permanent and Pensionable
1.3 ACCOUNTANT II – 1 POST
1.3.1 DUTY STATION: HEADQUARTERS
1.3.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs a range of accounting functions, including vote, accounts, cheques, billing arrangements, ledger control and preparation of credits, profit and losses accounts.
• Assist in answering Audit queries and to liaise with external auditors on financial reports.
• Ensure that financial regulations are adhered to.
• Maintain proper records of assets and liabilities of the Institute.
• Write regular reports on revenue, expenditure and returns.
• Supervise and direct his subordinates
• May be appointed Head of Finance and Supplies Department in any of the
TAFIRI Research Centres.
1.3.3 QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Certified Public Accountant (Tanzania) [CPA (T)], Association of Certified
Chartered Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Accountant (CA).
1.3.4 REMUNERATION: PGSS 13
1.3.5 TENURE: Permanent and Pensionable
1.4 OFFICE SUPERVISOR II - 1 POST
1.4.1 DUTY STATION: MWANZA
1.4.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintains up-to-date register of files and file index books;
• Gives file numbers to file searchers;
• Reviews pending correspondence and listing files required for filing;
• Sorts outgoing correspondence in accordance with instructions or established means of dispatch and checks dates and signatures;
• Assembles flimsy copies and files them for consultation to listed officers;
• Weeds out inactive files i.e. old closed volumes, files with torn covers etc;
• Checks files in the cabinet/rack periodically to ensure proper order and neatness;
• Drafts acknowledgement letters on matters related to mail clearing;
• Oversees overall cleanliness of the office;
• Supervisors of junior staff;
• Performs any other duties assigned by the Head of Section.
1.4.3 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Form IV/VI National Examination Certificate with a Diploma in Records
Management from a recognized institution.
1.4.4 SALARY SCALE: PGSS 9/10
1.4.5 TENURE: Permanent and Pensionable
1.5 OFFICE ASSISTANT II - 1 POST
1.5.1 DUTY STATION: Kigoma
1.5.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Cleaning and tiding of Offices and surroundings, including up-keep of gardens, trees, grass and cleaning of toilets;
• Collection and delivery of letters;
• Dispatch letters;
• Transmit official documents within the Institute;
• Carry machinery/equipment;
• Preparation and serving of tea/coffee etc.
• Ensure that Office equipment are kept in the proper areas;
• Up-keep of office equipment and report when they are faulty;
• Open office doors and windows in the morning and close them after work;
• Perform any other duties assigned by the relevant officer.
1.5.3 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
• National Form IV Certificate with passes in English and Kiswahili.
1.5.4 SALARY SCALE: POSS 5
1.5.5 TENURE: Permanent and Pensionable
1.6 OFFICE ASSISTANT I - 1 POST
1.6.1 DUTY STATION: Sota
1.6.2 DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assists in duplicating, photocopying, collecting and stapling materials.
• Preparation of duty rosters as well as ensuring effective and efficient utilization of junior staff;
• Reports maintenance problems.
• Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the relevant authority.
1.6.3 QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
• National Form IV Certificate holders with passes in English, Kiswahili and Mathematics, who have attended basic induction course in Office Management and have at least three (3) years of relevant working experience.
1.6.4 SALARY SCALE: POSS 6
1.6.5 TENURE: Permanent and Pensionable
NB: GENERAL CONDITIONS
i. All applicants must be Citizens of Tanzania and not above 45 years old, however, should also observe the age limit for each position where indicated.
ii. Applicants must attach an up-to-date current Curriculum Vitae (CV) having
reliable contact postal address, e-mail address and telephone numbers.
iii. Applicants should apply on the strength of the information given in this advertisement.
iv. The title of the position and institution applied for should be written in the
subject of the application letter; short of which will make the application invalid.
v. The title of the position and institution applied for should be marked on the envelope; short of which will make the application invalid.
vi. Applicants must attach their detailed relevant certified copies of Academic certificates:
- Postgraduate/Degree/Advanced Diploma/Diploma/Certificates.
- Postgraduate/Degree/Advanced Diploma/Diploma transcripts.
- Form IV and Form VI National Examination Certificates.
- Computer Certificate
- Professional certificates from respective boards
- One recent passport size picture and birth certificate.
vii. FORM IV AND FORM VI RESULTS SLIPS ARE STRICTLY NOT ACCEPTED
viii. Testimonials, Partial transcripts and results slips will not be accepted.
ix. Presentation of forged academic certificates and other information in the
CV will necessitate to legal action
x. Applicants for senior positions currently employed in the public service should route their application letters through their respective employers.
xi. Applicants for entry levels currently employed in the Public Service should
not apply, they have to adhere to Government Circular Na. CAC.
45/257/01/D/140 dated 30th November 2010.
xii. Applicants who have/were retired from the Public Service for whatever reason should not apply.
xiii. Applicants should indicate three reputable referees with their reliable contacts.
xiv. Certificates from foreign Universities should be verified by Tanzania
Commission for Universities (TCU)
xv. Dead line for application is 14th July, 2012 at 3:30 p.m xvi. Application letters should be written in Swahili or English
xvii. APPLICATION LETTERS SHOULD BE POSTED TO THE FOLLOWING
ADDRESS. HAND DELIVERY IS NOT ACCEPTABLE:
Secretary OR Katibu
Public Service Recruitment
Secretariat, Sekretarieti ya Ajira katika
Utumishi wa Umma
P. O. Box 63100 S. L. P 63100,
DAR ES SALAAM. DAR ES SALAAM.
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
18 hours ago