The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at Oxford Brookes University is pleased to invite applications for the Sasakawa Masters by Research Studentship in Japanese studies, made possible through the generosity of The Nippon Foundation and the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation.
We offer a broad range of expertise in contemporary Japanese culture, but candidates interested in religion (history or anthropology), death and dying, ageing and social issues, gender and the body, cinema, arts, or linguistics are especially encouraged to apply. The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is home to the Europe Japan Research Centre, and we are one of the only Universities in the UK offering a specialisation in the anthropology of Japan.
The faculty can nominate candidates for a Masters by Research for a studentship of £10,000, for the 2017/2018 academic year.
Please note that although you may use your studentship to help towards the cost of your fees, you will be responsible for paying your fees. Please see this page for information on current
Home/EU fees: http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/finance/postgraduate-finance---uk-and-eu-students/research-degree-fees/
- You must have a good first degree (a good 2:1 or above) or be predicted to obtain one.
- You must be either a UK citizen (regardless of your current residency) or settled in the UK or have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years immediately preceding the start of your MA course.
- The research proposal must focus on Japan.
- It is important that you and your referees comment on your skill in Japanese in the areas of reading, composition and speaking.
- Interviews may partly be conducted in conversational Japanese.
- Candidates must have submitted an application for admission by the Studentship application deadline.
How to apply:
You will need to follow the standard university application procedure. Please contact the Research Administrator Terri Morris: firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Deadline: The closing date for applications is 17:00 on Monday 27 February 2017.
Start date: September 2017.