The WorldFish Center is committed to meeting two key development challenges: 1) improving the livelihoods of those who are especially poor and vulnerable in places where fisheries and aquaculture can make a difference and 2) achieving large scale, environmentally sustainable, increases in supply and access to fish at affordable prices for poor consumers in developing countries.
A unique opportunity has arisen for gifted individuals to contribute to the mission of the Center.
Position Title: Chief of Party
Location of Assignment: Bangladesh – 50% in Dhaka and 50% in the field
Anticipated Start Date and duration: immediately with an approximately 3-year term
1. PROGRAM BACKGROUND:
The WorldFish Center is the prime implementer of a large three-year investment by USAID, in Aquaculture for Income and Nutrition (AIN) Project in Bangladesh. The project is a 5-year transformative investment in aquaculture focused on 20 southern districts in Barisal, Khulna and Dhaka divisions, Bangladesh. The program will contribute to achieving the USAID Feed the Future goals of sustainably reducing poverty and hunger through four objectives:
• Dissemination of improved quality lines of fish and shrimp seed
• Improving the nutrition and income status of farm households
• Increasing investment, employment and fish production through commercial aquaculture
• Policy and regulatory reform and institutional capacity building to support sustainable aquaculture growth
2. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Chief of Party has ultimate responsibility for program operations, both technical and administrative. He/she is expected to build and maintain relationships with USAID and ministries’ senior officials.
3. PROGRAM MANAGEMENT:
• Provides overall management, support, vision, and technical direction for all program tasks and supervises full time employees, consultants and subcontractor input.
• Manages the development and execution of technical plans and procedures to achieve program tasks, objectives, and planned results.
• Provides financial management and accountability for all program activities.
• Supervises completion of timely and high-quality deliverables for cooperative agreement compliance.
• Communicates and is responsible to the Director, Bangladesh and South Asia reporting on program progress and coordinating program activities.
• In conjunction with The WorldFish Center support team, ensure that managerial, administrative and financial procedures comply with provisions of the Cooperative Agreement, USAID regulations and The WorldFish Center policies.
• Contracts and manages local individuals/organizations for identified tasks as appropriate according to USAID and The WorldFish Center procedures.
4. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT:
The Chief of Party is responsible for the accurate preparation and timely delivery of financial information.
In particular, the Chief of Party:
• Manages program funds and approves expenditures in accordance with USAID and The WorldFish Center procedures, cost principles, and regulations, following closely and in a timely fashion, the working budget of program funds.
• Conducts all activities within the scope of the program budget.
• Monitors and revises budget pipeline and conducts monthly reviews to ensure accurate and timely reporting of financial deliverables.
• Provides a positive image of the program through participation in meetings, conferences, and other opportunities conducive to publicizing and promoting the program’s achievements.
• Manages and supervises staff effectively, fostering professional development of staff.
• Creates good working relationships with USAID, ministries and other stakeholders.
• Supports a positive working relationship with The WorldFish Center partners, consultants and other agencies working in Bangladesh.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS:
• MSc in Aquaculture, Fisheries, Agriculture or a similar field. Other degrees will be considered if candidate has significant USAID-specific program management experience.
• Minimum 10-15 years’ experience in managing complex private sector and/or aquaculture, agricultural or organizational development programs, preferably within an international development context.
• Preference will be given to candidates with 5 years or more experience as a Chief of Party for a USAID or other donor-funded projects of similar complexity.
• Strong interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively engage a wide range and levels of organizations (producers, government, private sector, NGOs, research institutions).
• Excellent understanding and knowledge of USAID and US Government regulations, administration, management, reporting procedures and systems.
- Strong communications and technical skills, fluent in English (speaking and writing), with excellent presentation skills.
The WorldFish Center offers a competitive remuneration package, a non-discriminatory policy and provides an innovative work environment. Interested applicants are invited to submit a comprehensive curriculum vita that includes names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three (3) professional referees who are familiar with the candidate's qualifications and work experience. You are required to submit your application (with indication on the subject header “Application for the position of Chief of Party – Bangladesh Office” to the Human Resources Strategy and Services Unit at email@example.com.
Screening of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled. This is an international position that will be based in Dhaka under The WorldFish Center, Bangladesh and South Asia Office in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. Experience may be relaxed for internal candidates.
WorldFish is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Applications from qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged.