Vacancy Number: RT/BECA/CROPS/07/12
Department: Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 2-year term renewable
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works at the crossroads of livestock and poverty, bringing high-quality livestock science, communications and capacity building to bear on poverty reduction and sustainable development. ILRI is one of 15 centres supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). ILRI has campuses in Kenya (headquarters) and Ethiopia, with other offices located in other regions of Africa (Mali, Mozambique, Nigeria) as well as in South Asia (India, Sri Lanka), Southeast Asia (Laos, Thailand, Vietnam) and East Asia (China).
ILRI also manages the Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA) Hub, a new centre for excellence in modern plant and animal biology in Africa. BecA is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/ African Union African Biosciences initiative. It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region. The BecA Hub facilities are world class, including a range of molecular, plant transformation, and genomics laboratories and equipment (e.g. 454 sequencing, Biosafety level 3 laboratory, plant growth facilities). The Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in science offer promise to address previously intractable problems constraining Africa’s development. Capacity building is a major goal of all activities. The scope covers agriculture and food security and their intersections with human health and nutrition, and the sustainable use of Africa’s natural resources. Further information is available at http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
In hosting the BecA Hub on a shared research platform, ILRI seeks to recruit a Research Technician – Crops to provide technical support to scientists and graduate students using the BecA-ILRI Hub facilities for research and training in crop-related sciences.
- Provide high-level technical support to scientists and graduate students conducting a wide range of crop-related research projects;
- Develop and conduct individual and group training in molecular-based technologies including genotyping data analysis;
- Facilitate weekly laboratory meetings;
- Maintain databases of research and training activities;
- Conduct research under supervision of research scientists;
- Ensure observation of good laboratory practice including proper maintenance of equipment and co-manage the training laboratory;
- Write standard operating procedures for laboratory techniques and risk assessments;
- Coordinate purchase requisitions of consumable stock items.
Skills and Competencies
- A Master’s degree in Biological Sciences;
- At least 3 years relevant post Masters experience;
- Experience in a research environment, specifically in molecular sciences including PCR, sequencing, genotyping and data analysis;
- A good working knowledge of protein techniques, microbiology, tissue culture and bioinformatics an advantage;
- Ability to perform complex analysis;
- Proven experience in decisions making, identifying and solving problems, quality control;
- Poses good skills in summarising and presenting data to scientists/colleagues.
- Ability to supervise staff particularly temporary staff and students.
- Ability to do report writing and draft peer-reviewed journal articles
- Knowledge of laboratory health and safety procedures;
- Capacity building skills;
- Computer literacy in MS Office programs is essential;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team setting;
- Strong English language skills, both written and spoken.
Terms of Appointment: This position is job Grade 2D, research level 4 with a starting gross salary of KES 154,917 per month. This is exclusive of other benefits provided by ILRI.
Location: The position will be based at the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, whose initial contract will be for a 2 year term renewable subject to availability of funds and individual performance. Salary and benefits will be in line with those provided by ILRI.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV combined as one document explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Applications should be submitted online to the Human Resources Director at: http://www.myjobsinkenya.com/ilri_jobs. Closing date for Applications is 11th July 2012.
The position title and reference number REF: RT/BECA/CROPS/07/12 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the email applications. Only applications sent via email to the indicated address will be considered, and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer