The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve this mission, the Foundations seek to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights. On a local level, the Open Society Foundations implement a range of initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media. At the same time, we build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information. The Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
Investor and philanthropist George Soros established the Open Society Foundations, starting in 1984, to help countries make the transition from communism. Our activities have grown to encompass the United States and more than 70 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. Each Foundation relies on the expertise of boards composed of eminent citizens who determine individual agendas based on local priorities.
Provide administrative support/functions to the Office of Programs (OP). Work is carried out independently/under general supervision.
Essential Duties and responsibilities include the following. OSI may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Participate in the creation, approval, declination and managing the director’s grant portfolio;
- Negotiate and prepare the terms of consulting arrangements;
- Coordinate the Office’s special research projects, interns, on-going programmatic needs and grant-making portfolio;
- Help craft and organize meetings abroad for the Office of Programs, Network Programs, the Africa Advisory Group, and other OSF entities, as requested;
- Draft/edit correspondence and memoranda, letters to grant applicants, grant documentation and dockets;
- Monitor grants through review of narrative and financial reports and other communication with grantees;
- Provide presentations on thematic/regional/programmatic subjects as requested;
- As needed, contribute blogs, publications and articles on program related subject matters;
- Provide support related to the program team, assist with logistics, travel arrangements, expense report processing, call and meeting logistics, and aspects of publications and meetings;
- Provide general administrative support to the Program;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Travel may be required.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and three to five years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- NGO or foundation experience/interest in human rights preferred;
- Experience implementing systems in philanthropic organizations and/or not-for-profits preferred.
- Proven ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment; to troubleshoot and follow projects through to completion, consistently on schedule, without loss of attention to detail and budget;
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Shows discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Poised and works well under pressure, attentive to detail and prioritizes and works well under pressure, often simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public.
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Include job code in subject line: PC-OOP.