Revenue Watch Institute (RWI) is a non-governmental organization that promotes responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the public good. Too often natural resource wealth results in corruption and poverty, instead of growth and development. With effective revenue management, citizen engagement and government accountability, natural resource wealth can drive economic growth and development. RWI provides the expertise, funding and technical assistance to help countries realize these benefits. Please visit our website for more information: www.revenuewatch.org.
Lead the management of Revenue Watch Institute’s fundraising efforts by refining the overall structure and goals, developing solicitation strategies, drafting appropriate materials and identifying prospects. Work is carried out independently.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. OSI/RWI may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Design and implement a fundraising strategy for Revenue Watch that takes into account the current funding environment and covers private foundations, bilateral donors, and new areas for development outreach such as high net worth individuals;
- Devise systems and processes for meeting donor reporting requirements, including delegating responsibilities to staff;
- Lead and advise staff on fundraising activities, including outreach, messaging and pitch;
- Provide prospect research, campaign material, logistics and follow-up for cultivation visits and events, solicitations, and campaign meetings;
- Oversee major gift process, including timely solicitations, background profiles and suitable gift opportunities;
- Develop and conduct annual and periodic special events;
- Develop and implement a work plan and budget for the Program, working with the director and other key staff;
- Manage/supervise the work of development staff for the writing, event planning, prospect research, work with volunteers and management of donor records and requirements;
- Travel is required;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Advanced degree (M.A./M.S) and seven to ten years of relevant experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong track record in soliciting major gifts from individuals, foundation and corporations, particularly for social change organizations;
- Documented success in managing a development program.
- Demonstrated management skills in not-for-profit organizations, foundations and/or government agencies, particularly in complex organizations;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Leadership expertise in identifying best practices and improvement of internal systems;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects;
- Experience in managing multiple priorities under pressure and accomplish short- and long- term deadlines with a heavy workload;
- Demonstrated experience in budget, technical and financial management functions;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people with diverse backgrounds throughout a complex organization;
- Proven leadership qualities with delivering superior results;
- Professionally competent to make administrative, procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive and confidential issues;
- Effectively interact with staff on all levels;
- Identify and resolve sensitive matters and situations;
- Professional, diplomatic demeanor with the ability to represent a global organization and interact with colleagues from diverse backgrounds;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated expertise in handling all personnel related issues and information in a confidential manner.
- Experience fundraising for social change organizations, particularly in governance and development;
- Ability to fundraise from foundations, corporations, and individuals;
- Ability to plan events and meetings to cultivate, solicit and maintain financial support for Revenue Watch’s programs from a range of investors;
- Excellent judgment and initiative in selecting the most effective solutions to develop and implement systems, policies and procedures;
- Ability to effectively manage, develop and motivate program staff.
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements. Include job code in subject line: HOD-RWI.
Open Society Foundations
Human Resources – Code HOD-RWI
400 West 59th Street
New York, New York 10019