PART-TIME JOB VACANCY
(20 hours per week)
Human Rights Watch is seeking an Office Administrator to be responsible for providing a high level of professional day-to-day support to ensure the smooth and efficient running of HRW’s Amsterdam office. This position would be an excellent stepping stone for candidates interested in developing their skills and experience in non-profit or charitable management and leadership. The position reports to the London-based Deputy Director of European Operations, and will also work closely with the Amsterdam Director.
- Act as the local Finance representative and assist with the implementation of Finance policies locally;
- Manage the bank accounts and cash flows for Amsterdam;
- Prepare, plan and monitor the office budget;
- Record all monthly financial activity into the organization’s financial systems;
- Process financial transactions, including payroll, pensions, monthly bill payments, expense reimbursements and disbursements;
- Run internal and external financial reports;
- Work with financial service vendors such as auditors, accountants and governmental tax offices; and
- Handle issues in relation to HRW’s legal, branch and charitable status.
- Act as the local HR representative and assist with the implementation of HR policies locally;
- Deal with general HR queries;
- Maintain a good understanding and working knowledge of and compliance with local employment laws;
- Assist with the recruitment, on-boarding and departure of local staff, fellows, consultants and interns;
- Administer local staff contracts, extension, terminations, exit checklists and translations;
- Administer and process local employee payroll, pensions, health benefits and insurance;
- Assist with updating the local Employee handbook with changes in local laws;
- Liaise and assist HR staff in headquarters with legal and HR audit issues locally;
- Research and assist with immigration, visas and relocation of employees; and
- Maintain a unified filing system and attendance management database.
Facilities and Administration
- Maintain the smooth and effective functioning of the office;
- Handle general office maintenance and facilities;
- Liaise with the premises landlord;
- Deal with suppliers and providers and negotiate commercial and services contracts in a cost effective manner;
- Respond to public queries and visitors;
- Performing general office maintenance including stocking office supplies;
- Maintain office security and protocols;
- Ensure office safety standards are in compliance with local regulations;
- Oversee office moves, configuration and space sourcing.
- Liaise with the IT/helpdesk to troubleshoot computer problems and back up and update network files as necessary;
- Liaise with the IT or local phone service and internet provider to troubleshoot phone and internet problems.
HRW prides itself on its professionalism and on providing the highest levels of responsiveness and service to staff across the organization, so the Office Administrator will be expected to take initiative to identify and solve problems and implement operations innovations. S/he will be expected to build close and collaborative relationships with the staff based in Amsterdam, as well as colleagues in other European offices, and the organization’s headquarters in New York.
A bachelor’s degree or equivalent training in business administration, nonprofit management, human resources, international relations or a related field is required.
Minimum three years of operations or administrative experience in a demanding and fast paced environment. Experience in nonprofit management, human resources, finance or IT is highly desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- S/he must demonstrate very good organizational, administrative and financial skills;
- S/he will have good interpersonal skills, high energy and attention to detail;
- S/he will have good leadership and management skills, including the demonstrated ability to work successfully with a team of talented professionals in multiple global locations;
- Proven track record of taking initiative and problem solving;
- Fluent written and spoken skills in Dutch and English are required;
- Experience with finance, human resources or development databases is desirable;
- Good judgment, discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality are essential.
Applicants for this position must possess current Dutch or EU work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Please submit a cover letter, CV, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for three references in English. Please submit the entire application in ONE attached document to email@example.com. Please use “Office Administrator REF OPS-12-1040-A” as the subject of your email.