EUROS 90,000 circa plus benefits
The Brussels office of the three Law Societies (England & Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) represents the interests of the solicitors’ professions to the EU institutions as well as providing related services to our members. We are committed to being a leading voice on the best practice of law and law reform at European level.
The Head of the Brussels Office role offers an exciting opportunity to represent the legal profession at EU level and lead on European policy matters.
As the Head of the Brussels Office you will be required to take the lead on developments in EU law and practice, to work with the profession and colleagues to identify and monitor the impact of reforms and to lobby as necessary for changes in line with the Societies’ policy and strategic priorities. You will also have the opportunity to represent at a high level the interests of the Law Societies and their members whilst also acting as the secretary to the Society of England & Wales’ EU Committee. You will play a leading role with the UK delegation to the Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe (CCBE).
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Degree level or equivalent level of education
- Substantial knowledge and recent experience of EU law, practice and procedure & knowledge of the legal profession
- An understanding of the policy implications of proposals, ability to research and prepare policy papers and to explain complex issues clearly and concisely
- Excellent communication skills, including tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide range of individuals at all levels
- Extensive experience of working in or with the European Institutions
- Strong people management skills - with the ability to manage and run an independent team in a self standing office
- Good resource management skills relating to budget
- Ability to deal with a range of different stakeholders
- Ability to deal with committee administration
- Experience of negotiation in a multicultural context
- Fluent French language skills are essential. Other EU languages an asset.
- Ability to work independently and work under pressure to tight deadlines and ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage, enthuse and motivate staff
For an application pack, please refer to our website
www.lawsociety.org.uk/aboutlawsociety/career/vacancies.law. Please ensure that your application form and any additional information is clearly marked with campaign number TLS 2123. Please return the completed application form via email to HRDDirectRecruitment@lawsociety.org.uk. The closing date for applications is 4.00pm on Wednesday 19th October 2011.
The Law Society Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.