This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya
The area: Operations and IT
In little more than a decade, Google created one of the world's largest global computing infrastructures for both internal and external use. We built it – and will continue to develop and support it – with the world's most talented administrators. Chances are that we exceed every example of a "large installation" you've encountered in your career as a network, systems or security professional. Using our unique technologies along with open source tools, we keep Google's customer-facing products running, robust and secure. Our objective is to create solutions that allow people to work and communicate in new and innovative ways – giving back to the world's technical community whenever we can.
The role: IT Field Technician
The Corporate Engineering team is responsible for IT support and technical solutions within Google's distributed offices. As one of the first Corporate Operations Engineers based in Africa you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact in the region. Your role will focus on offices across continental Africa and surrounding emerging markets. A broad technical skill set and strong written and verbal communication skills are required to extend the service provided by the EMEA IT team. You will sustain the network environment and maintain the mix of client operating systems (Chrome OS, OS X, Linux, Windows). You will also collaborate frequently with and partner various teams including security, networking, and infrastructure, with the possibility of providing additional support for regional events and outreach programs. You will be expected to travel frequently within Africa and occasionally to large offices in Europe.
- Provide direct user support for Linux, Mac and Windows, and Chrome OS desktops/laptops and user access to corporate network and applications.
- Develop, coordinate and drive local and world-wide IT projects.
- Provide direct user support and administration for Google’s corporate resources, tools and applications.
- Provide direct user support for Google’s office relocations and expansions.
- Support initiatives and projects within Africa and surrounding areas.
- BS degree. In lieu of degree, relevant skills or equivalent experience.
- Experience with various operating systems (e.g. Linux/Mac/Windows).
- An understanding of LAN/WAN and mobile computing environments.
- Strong customer service, organizational, communication, and leadership skills.
- Experience with scripting languages (e.g, Python).
- Expertise in deploying and supporting desktops/laptops, phone systems, video conferencing and various wireless devices.
- Valid work authorization for Kenya, additional African countries.
- Fluency in English and an additional language.
Feedback requested: We're always looking to grow and improve. Help make this site even better by letting us know what you think.