Post Level: SC10
Duty Station: Nairobi (With frequent travel to Somalia).
Starting Date: May 2011
Duration: 8 Months (Renewal subject to performance, availability of funds and need for position).
Application deadline: 22 March 2011
UN Women seeks to recruit an outstanding and high level candidate for the post of Project Officer reporting to the Deputy Regional Programme Director.
The incumbent will contribute to the realization of UNWOMEN’s Strategic Outcomes as following in Somalia:
Outcome 1: Increased number of national development strategies, incorporate gender equality in line with national commitments to women’s empowerment and human rights;
Outcome 2: Increase in numbers of Constitutions and legal frameworks and processes — particularly those related to economic security and rights, women’s care work, property and inheritance rights, trade, migration, ending yAW, and electoral and security sector reform — that promote and protect women’s human rights and eliminate gender inequality;
Outcome 5: Gender equality experts, advocates and their organizations and networks enhance their capacity and influence to ensure that there are strong gender equality dimensions in national laws, policies and strategies; and
Outcome 8: Increased numbers and relevance of models of community-level initiatives for advancing women’s human rights and eliminating gender inequality.
- Masters Degree in social sciences, gender studies, international studies, development studies, social anthropology or related field.
- Minimum of seven years relevant experience in gender equality or human rights research and coordination or a related field
- Widely knowledgeable about the Somali context and the issues that face the Somali women including the human rights of women in Somalia.
- Minimum 3 years experience of working with women’s organizations, movements and networks in conflict and post conflict contexts.
- Demonstrated experience in structured report writing using Results Based Management (RBM).
- Proven experience in financial tracking and reporting abilities.
- Demonstrated experience of supporting partners and maintaining productive long-distance relationships.
- Somali and English are the two essential languages required.
For more information on this vacancy and for details on how to apply, interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit electronic application by visiting:
Somali Nationals especially women are highly encouraged to apply.
Candidates that had responded to the previous advertisement need not apply again.