Transparency International (TI) is seeking a highly skilled professional for the position ofSouth Asia Project Coordinator
The Transparency International Secretariat in Berlin is seeking a highly motivated professional for the position of South Asia Project Coordinator for the Asia Pacific Department.
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 90 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Asia Pacific Department is one of four regional departments at the TI Secretariat, and is recruiting a motivated professional to coordinate two projects running in South Asia:
South Asia Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres (ALACs)
TI Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres have been expanding in the Asia Pacific region, with two currently operating in Nepal and Pakistan, and three more now being established in India, Maldives and Sri Lanka, which particularly aim to reach out to rural and vulnerable communities. In the TI movement ALACs have been used as a platform for both voicing the concerns of citizen groups against corruption and helping them to find solutions for grievances. At the same time, monitoring these complaints provides clear evidence of corruption ‘hot spots’ allowing chapter advocacy to be targeted towards systemic change in these areas.
National Integrity Context and System Assessments (NICSA)
TI National integrity System Assessments have been carried out in many countries around the world on the extent and causes of corruption, as well as the effectiveness of existing mechanisms to counter corruption and uphold integrity. The South Asia NICSA project will be carried out in six South Asian countries, building on the existing NIS methodology with an additional political economy analysis to allow greater understanding of the context in which this system operates. The studies will be conducted through a consultative process, involving the key anti-corruption agents in government, civil society, the business community and other relevant sectors with a view to building momentum, political will and civic pressure for relevant reform initiatives in each country.
Terms of employment
Job title: South Asia Project Coordinator
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: project limited contract to end of June 2013
Reporting lines: Senior Programme Coordinator South Asia and Regional Director Asia Pacific Department
Location: Berlin, Germany
Job grade: Project Coordinator
- To support the Senior Regional Coordinator in implementing ALAC programmes in South Asia
- To coordinate the establishment and smooth implementation of the NICSA research and advocacy project in South Asia
- Project management and administration:
- Ensure smooth preparation, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of both projects.
- Research oversight:
- Provide coordination and support to national project teams on research and advocacy and facilitate expert advice on/quality assurance of research outputs developed by TI National Chapters.
- Coordinate regional research as part of the NICSA project
- Oversee financial administration of the project and prepare donor reporting.
- Organise regional events and assist National Chapters in the organisation of national workshops and trainings for the projects.
- Assist chapters in further developing relevant capacities where needed for the projects.
- Liaising with other departments of TIS for the smooth implementation of both projects, particularly in relation to finance and monitoring and evaluation, as well as to research and global ALAC support
- Data Coordination and Analysis:
- Monitoring the feeding of data into ALAC database and providing feedback to the chapters
- Support the collation of information for ALAC and NICSA monitoring and evaluation
- Support National Chapters in planning advocacy around the National Integrity Systems in their countries
- Coordinate regional advocacy on research findings
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- University/ postgraduate degree, or equivalent qualification, in relevant field (e.g. Development Studies, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Law etc.)
- Several years of work experience in working/volunteering for an organisation. Previous work experiences in South Asia would be an added advantage)
- Demonstrated interest in South Asian issues, and knowledge of current anti-corruption discourse, policies and international developments
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated project coordination and monitoring skills
- Demonstrated budget management skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in any South Asian Languages will be an added advantage
- Highly developed team work and intercultural communication skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft office)
TI Secretariat reserves the right to appoint to another staff level subject to education and qualifications.
Other information about the post and duty station:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and CV to:
The closing date for this position is 30 October 2011.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer.
To learn more about Transparency International visit our website atwww.transparency.org