WIN Coordinator Knowledge Management and Action Research
Transparency International (TI) is the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Through more than 90 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption and works with partners in government, business and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
The Water Integrity Network (WIN) is an action oriented coalition of individuals and organizations from all stakeholder groups that are able and willing to support the cause of increasing Water Integrity (WI) benefiting poor people in helping to prevent or reduce corruption across the water sector.
The WIN Secretariat is a lean entity relying on the expertise of its members and partners, including the International Water and Sanitation Centre (IRC), The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), Transparency International (TI), the Water and Sanitation Program – Africa (WSP), the Global Water Partnership, Cap-Net and other international, regional and local organizations.
During 2009 and 2010 began scaling-up work in selected countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. A gradual expansion is occurring with the support of partners and regional coalitions. WIN is aiming to develop a strong voice to raise awareness that corruption in the water sector is a big challenge, and that something must and can be done about it through a sector wide collective effort. It also aims to facilitate coalitions and partnership programmes with a multi country or regional focus. An important area of work is monitoring strategic progress at various levels for which WIN is providing methodological support and promotes the use of a set of diagnostic tools and indicators. This is work in progress.
In accordance with its Global Strategy 2011 WIN-S works according to a strategic programmes matrix with complementary individual responsibilities relating to regional and country focus and coordination of partnerships and programmes in accordance with categories of activities/areas of work in that matrix.
Job Title: WIN Coordinator action research and knowledge management
Contract: Full-time (100%) position.
Duration is one to two years
Main function: To coordinate and develop this area of work under WIN’s Global Strategy
Location: WIN-Secretariat based at TI-S, Berlin, Germany
Department: Water Integrity Network
Reporting lines: Reports to the WIN director or his/her nominee
Starting date: January 2012
Job grad: Programme Coordinator (PC)
(50%) Strategic development the area of work
- Coordinate development of the Action research and Knowledge management area of work. This includes identification and definition of areas of research
- Continuous analysis of knowledge gaps, needs and demand in different water related areas of work to integrate an anti-corruption, good water governance, water services management and integrity perspectives to improve sector performance.
- Develop or facilitate WIN associated partnership programme proposals for funding focusing action research, action learning and knowledge support networks and decision making support services
- Development of a knowledge management and resource centre network on water integrity to help ensure continuous access to tools and expertise
- Encourage virtual networking and information/experience sharing among and through partnerships
- Co-organising knowledge sharing and learning events for different stakeholders or target groups
30% Networks for knowledge management on water integrity
- Encourage virtual knowledge networking with a water sector integrity focus in different language zones
- Encouraging development and documentation of cases of good practice throughout the WIN network of members and partnerships (Case studies, success stories etc) in support of evidence based advocacy.
- Help ensure as member of the WIN-S team that WIN provides substantive contributions to international events, such as the Stockholm World Water Week, World Water Forum, WSSCC forums, the Earth summit and other regional or global events when relevant.
- Coordinating specific WIN contributions to such events including WIN sessions, back-to back meetings and WIN booth when applicable.
20% Project and process management relating to country based and regional programmes related to the function
- “Account” manager for one or more strategic funding partners
- Focal point for selected countries in Asia
- Facilitating and advisory support to country coalitions and partnerships
- Support colleagues as a good and reliable team worker
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- Previous successful water and environment related action research experience
- Higher academic degree and/or dissertation on water policy and governance
- Excellent knowledge of and no less than 5 years professional work experience in the water and environment sector
- International exposure and contact network.
- Excellent language skills in at least English and French at or near the level of native speakers. Fluency in one of the following languages: Spanish or one of the other UN languages (Mandarin, Arabic, Russian). Fluency in German is a plus.
- Experience with virtual networking tools and some understanding of programming and statistical issues in addition to standard MS office software applications.
- Highly motivated, flexible, creative and comfortable taking initiative and able to work with high level of autonomy in different cultural environments
- Good communicator in writing and in events
- Basic knowledge of generic anti-corruption and integrity tools and governance issues.
TI Secretariat reserves the right to appoint to another staff level subject to education and qualifications.
Other information about the post and duty station:
Transparency International and its global network offer an inspiring work environment with real learning opportunities and support. Berlin is an attractive metropolitan city with relatively low cost of living.
Qualified candidates should submit, preferably via email, a cover letter and CV to:
Deadline for applications is 1 November 2011.
In the recruitment process candidate’s motivations to apply and their early commitment towards supporting WIN’s vision, mission and aims promoting transparency, integrity and accountability together with its values and principles will be important considerations.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted. Transparency International is an equal opportunity employer. To learn more about Transparency International, visit our website at www.transparency.org