UKREP - United Kingdom Permanent Representation to the European Union
The UK Permanent Representation to the EU (UKRep) works within the EU and its member states to maximise British influence on issues such as trade, the single market and economic growth is now looking for a European Union Secondment Officer.
The period up to and during the UK Presidency will be extremely busy where the Representation is at the heart of the Brussels based business. In reality this will involve some long-hours above and beyond the contracted weekly hours, including outside core hours. Exceptionally there may be a need to work at some point on a weekend. The successful candidate will be an integral member of UKRep and as such they will be expected to be flexible and adapt to help cover any potential shift in policy priorities and responsibilities within this busy time.
UKRep also has the advantage of offering Time off in Lieu (TOIL) for extra time worked and provides opportunities to take a good amount of time off at August, Christmas, and Easter when there is little activity in the European institutions. We are also exploring what options may exist for ad hoc flexible working, whilst recognising the Presidency period will create limitations on what is possible on a regular basis. UKRep is a great place to work. Our ground-breaking programme ‘UKRep Excellence’ and our in house training hub offers interesting and valuable learning opportunities.
The job holder will act as the main point of contact for all British Seconded National Experts (SNEs) and National Experts in Professional Training (NEPTs) to the EU institutions. In addition, depending on the Political team’s workload at the time, the officer may also be required to assist with the organisation of high-level political visits to Brussels along with providing other ad-hoc support to the team.
This role would suit an individual with excellent organisation skills. The successful applicant will have a track record in showing initiative and delivering good customer service and should to be a strong team player who enjoys meeting new people and creating a network of contacts to work with and through.
- Advertising EU secondee openings so as to reach as wide an audience as possible;
- Processing applications and assisting with selecting/placement of candidates as required;
- Managing the administrative procedures to formalise secondments in a timely and efficient manner, including keeping files up to date and compiling and circulating monthly bulletins on SNE stats;
- Other administrative and general support for the EU Central Staffing Unit as required;
- Acting as a first point of call and keeping in regular contact with our EU secondee community;
- Responsibility for delivery of practical support to British Seconded National Experts (SNEs) posted to the EU Institutions;
- Liaison with the various Brussels communes concerning registration of SNEs and accompanying new arrivals to the commune and assisting them with their registration;
- Assisting SNEs with their healthcare registration;
- Advising SNEs on how to approach/where to look for advice on any issues raised;
- Other administrative and general support for the UKRep Political and Staffing team as required, including helping to organise visits and to cover for other team members during absences;
- Identifying and implementing improvements to delivery and substance of overall SNE support ‘package’.
Required Experience & Skills
- Fluent level of English and French (written and spoken);
- Proven excellent organisational ability;
- Strong track record in delivering customer service;
- High quality communications skills and good at working with and through other stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work in a team, show initiative and handle sometimes sensitive personal data;
- Key FCO competences: Collaborating and Partnering; Changing and Improving; Making Effective Decisions; Managing a Quality Service.
- Knowledge of the EU institutions. An awareness of the EU internal staffing rules and procedures/willingness to get up to speed on them quickly would also be advantageous.
Terms and Conditions
This is a full-time, 4 year fixed term contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week (please note that is expected to be necessary to work some long-hours above and beyond the contracted weekly hours, including outside core hours and occasionally on weekends).
The monthly salary for this position is € 2.286,10, A2(L) level (The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium salaries are not subject to annual indexation).
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance. Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
All applicants should have the right to live and work in Belgium. The British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium does not sponsor work permits.
All applicants should submit their CV (in English, up to 3 pages), Covering Letter (in English, no more than 1 page of A4, Arial11) setting out their motivation for the role and how they meet the above criteria.
Applications should be sent to jobapplications.BEL@fco.gov.uk and the email subject line must be formatted as follows: BEL624.
The closing date for applications is the 20st March 2016.
Interviews are expected to take place on the 5th April.
Kindly note that your application will only be considered if:
- Your application has been sent within the time frame requested;
- Your application documents are fully in English;
- Your applications documents are in .pdf format.
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates selected for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
British Diplomatic Missions are equal opportunities employers, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference.