International IDEA - The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes. International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA’s notable areas of expertise are: electoral processes, political parties, constitution-building processes, democracy and gender and democracy assessments. International IDEA works worldwide. It is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Brussels, New York, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise:
- electoral processes;
- constitution building;
- political participation and representation; and
- democracy and development.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
It utilizes comparative knowledge to:
- advance global, regional and national debates on democracy;
- facilitate and substantiate dialogue among global, regional, national and local actors to support democratic change; and
- partner with stakeholders working for democratic reform at the country level.
The intern, under the guidance of the Senior Programme Manager, Political Parties team shall perform the following duties:
- Collects legal data and updates the political finance database;
- Carries out research for the development of thematic factsheets and two political finance tools in development;
- Assists with research and fact checking for International IDEA materials and concepts;
- Supports the PP team in further implementation of the social media communication strategy around money in politics;
- Assists with various logistical tasks;
- Performs any other duties as requested by the Senior Programme Manager and/or any other person designated by him/her; and
- Actively integrates the inclusion of a gender perspective in all activities.
Expected outcome/learning opportunities
The intern is expected to benefit from the position by gaining insights, experience and knowledge on:
- Working in an international and multilingual organization;
- Reviewing legal documents; and
- Develop concept notes on political party assistance and political finance.
The intern will also have the opportunity to develop his/her analytical and researching skills. The objective of the internship is to provide a learning opportunity for an interested and talented student within a relevant study area. The intern is expected to act as part of the team, learning from all team members in their different capacities.
Management and Organization
The intern will be supervised by the Senior Programme Manager, Political Parties team and/or any other person designated by him/her. The intern will be provided with a work-station at IDEA.
Timing and Work plan
The PP team is looking for an intern who can start immediately and support the team between 3-5 days a week for a period of 3 months or more. The intern will work office hours 9-17 if not otherwise agreed with the Supervisor.
Qualifications and required skills
- Analytical, drafting and problem solving skills;
- Ability to appreciate diversity and work as part of a team in such an environment;
- Ability to assess, manage and structure information;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including Excel) and Internet;
- Knowledge of information management systems.
Language skills: Fluent written and oral English required. Spanish, French or Arabic language skills would be an asset.
Terms of internship
All internships at International IDEA are unpaid, and Insurance cover in respect of travel, health, medical costs, disability, accident and death is not provided by International IDEA. It would be your responsibility to make your own insurance arrangements to ensure such cover.
Please send your application in English by 31 March 2016.