Freedom House supports the spread of freedom and democracy throughout the world through research, effective advocacy and programs directly supporting frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we are supporting the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House is seeking a full-time of part-time fall Advocacy Intern. The Intern will focus on US government outreach, the Freedom of Expression program, media outreach, and general advocacy. This internship is a 20-hour per week position where academic credit may be available.
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct research for publications
- Assist with congressional outreach
- Draft press releases and website content
- Assist with program activities related to the Global Freedom of Expression Campaign
- Conduct general administrative tasks
- Assist with event planning
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or current college or graduate student; Political Science, International Relations, and Journalism majors preferred
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel
- Knowledge of and interest in freedom of expression issues
- Must have ability to multitask and thrive in a busy, fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with US government budgeting and appropriations process preferred
- Journalism experience, photography skills and interest in international affairs preferred
Qualified and Interested applicants
Please send a resume, cover letter and short writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (202) 822-3893, Attention: HR. Dept., referencing Advocacy Intern. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.