Reports to: Executive Secretary
Supervises: Assistant Policy and Budget Analyst
Job Location: Dar-es-Salaam
Job Purpose: To provide support and strategic direction to ANSAF Members on a wide range of economic and policy issues affecting the agricultural sector in Tanzania
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To identify policy issues in the agricultural sector that are of interest to ANSAF in order to research and analyze them;
- Carry out research as required by Members including analysis of existing agricultural reports and policies
- Play a leading role in the development of policy briefs and related public outreach events, relevant to the agribusiness and development community
- To interpret and review existing policies in the agricultural sector, evaluate options and make recommendations for new policies;
- To proactively participate in the policy dialogue involving ANSAF members, agricultural sector stakeholders, donors, other private sector advocacy organizations and the Government;
- To prepare positional papers/reports on policy and related matters for ANSAF members; and
- Pursue opportunities to work with government officials, donors and other stakeholders to refine and improve agriculture policy initiatives
Qualifications and Experience
- A first degree in the field of agricultural economics, economics and trade, business administration, or international development. A Masters degree is preferable;
- Experience of at least 2 years working at mid-level position with both the public and private sectors on policy issues;
- At least 2 years professional experience in the areas of policy formulation and analysis;
- Good analytical and interpretation skills that will enable you to:
- Clearly identify and define relevant public policy issues.
- Undertake original economic and financial analysis to a high professional standard.
- Design and evaluate policy options from an independent and objective viewpoint that takes into consideration the needs of marginal and smallholder farmers, medium and large scale farmers, agro-processors, traders (agro-dealers) and other relevant actors.
- Strong quantitative analysis and research skills;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili;
- Computer; literacy, i.e. Word processing, spreadsheet and power point;
- Diligent, highly organized and self-motivating individual;
- A person with high integrity;
- Able to work under pressure to meet deadlines; and
- Excellent communication skills particularly in engaging with the private agricultural sector in order to achieve results.
- Broad knowledge of government policy process and experience dealing with government officials
- Willingness to work as part of a team
ANSAF is an acronym for Agricultural Non State Actors Forum. It was formed in 2006 by members from the private and civil society organizations working in the agricultural sector in Tanzania. The impetus for the formation of ANSAF was demand driven. The forum’s objectives are first; is to advocate for a pro-poor and conducive agriculture policy environment where Civil Society Organizations and the private sector effectively engage with and influence agriculture sector policies and practices. Secondly; to effectively analyze the existing agriculture policies and suggest alternative views/directions. The third main objective is to provide a platform for learning, sharing, networking and coalition building around best practices and key issues in the agriculture sector.
A Tanzanian Society free of poverty where sound agricultural policies and best practices contribute to the transformation of the country’s economy.
To work with ANSAF members and non-members to strengthen the coordination and collaboration of joint efforts in the agricultural sector in addressing crucial issues affecting marginal and smallholder farmers by influencing government policies through advocacy and lobbying.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should submit their applications with the following
1. Application letter explaining why you think you qualify for this post
2. Current CV, indicating relevant experience based on previous tasks; and skills that you are bringing into the organization
All applications should be submitted to the following address
Agricultural Non State Actors’ Forum (ANSAF)
Regent Estate, Plot 169
P.O Box 6370
Dar es Salaam
Fax +255 22 2700318
Deadline for submission is FRIDAY 23rd October 2011