European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity
ENTSO-E is the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity, founded in December 2008. ENTSO-E coordinates the cross-border system operations, system development, electricity market and R&D activities of 41 transmission system operators (TSOs) across 34 countries. ENTSO-E is assigned with important tasks in the EU’s Third Energy legislative package which apply since March 2011, namely the development of network codes and of network development plans. One of the key objectives for ENTSO-E is to support the full implementation of the Europe-wide internal electricity market by the end of 2014, through market-related network codes and coordination of regional market coupling progress. The Secretariat is now seeking to recruit a Market Advisor for these tasks.
As one of the advisors in the market section of the ENTSO-E Secretariat, you cooperate in particular with the Market Network Code Advisor and the Regional Market & Transparency Advisor under coordination of the Manager Market. You will also work closely with other advisors in the Secretariat in the system operations’, system development, corporate affairs and legal sections.
Most responsibilities focus on the decisions to be taken in the Market Committee on regional and pan-European market integration and network codes, related primarily to capacity allocation and congestion management, trading and system balancing, transmission tariff structures incl. locational signals, third-party access, to European Commission guidelines in relating to market issues and to grid integration of renewable resources. Significant travel may be required.
Support and leadership functions for external representation, meetings, position papers, network codes, for several ENTSO-E bodies and groups. The particular responsibilities change over time. The following support and leadership functions are foreseen initially:
- Market Integration Working Group, incl. network code development on topics such as capacity allocation and congestion management in different timeframes, with workshops and consultation process with stakeholders.
- Renewable Energy Sources Working Group, incl. market and operational harmonization questions and interaction with stakeholders.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Market Committee meetings, in cooperation with the other Advisors of the market section, incl. preparing agendas, session files, presentations, decisions as well as draft minutes.
- Follow-up and coordination of Market Committee Regional Groups in close cooperation with the Regional Market & Transparency Advisor, aiming to harmonization of market development in the different European regions.
- Interactions with European regulators and their agency ACER, with the European Commission, at times with Members of the European Parliament, and with other stakeholders, for example in informal and formal network code consultations, and incl. providing information about market and renewable integration issues.
To be able to draw on TSOs’ expertise in these key areas of work, the Secretariat is looking preferably for a secondment of two years or more from a member TSO. The Secretariat has experience with different contractual arrangements for secondments and can give advice to TSOs and candidates on financial and tax effects. The Secretariat expects to pay market salary to the TSO for this long-term secondment.
- University degree in engineering or economics or MBA.
- At least 3 years relevant work experience in the energy sector.
- Proven expertise with European electricity market integration, e.g. market design, integration of financial and physical power markets, congestion management, balancing mechanisms, incentive regulation of transmission pricing, renewable energy integration.
- Excellent skills and a strong interest in communication, for cooperating within and across the Secretariat sections, for supporting members in the working groups and facilitating consensus, and for explaining to stakeholders, politicians and the public the work products and positions of the TSOs.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, organize resources and establish priorities.