European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity
ENTSO-E is the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity, founded in December 2008. ENTSO-E coordinates the cross-border system operations, system development, electricity market and R&D activities of 41 transmission system operators (TSOs) across 34 countries. ENTSO-E is assigned with important tasks in the EU’s Third Energy legislative package which apply since March 2011, namely the development of network codes and of network development plans. One of the key objectives for ENTSO-E is to publish every two years a Union-wide non-binding Ten-Year Network Development Plan. The Secretariat is now seeking to recruit a System Planning Advisor for this and related tasks.
Reporting directly to the Manager System Development of the ENTSO-E Secretariat, the successful candidate will be part of a team focusing on the decisions to be taken in the System Development Committee on regional and pan-European network plans, as well as system adequacy forecasts, integration of renewable resources into the European electricity system as well as European network model data collection and validation. Significant travel may be required.
Support and leadership functions for external representation, meetings, position papers, network plans for several ENTSO-E bodies and groups. The particular responsibilities change over time; the following support and leadership functions are foreseen initially:
- Ten-Year Network Development Plan Working Group, which is responsible for one of the major ENTSO-E tasks mentioned in the EU’s 3rd energy package, including workshops and consultation process with major stakeholders, technical support for preparations of publications and media interactions.
- Technical support for system development planning, including market and network studies and cost-benefit analysis at regional and pan-European scale.
- Administration of ENTSO-E databases on network and market models
- Interactions with European regulators and their agency ACER, with the European Commission, at times with Members of the European Parliament, and with other stakeholders, for example in informal and formal TYNDP and regional network development plan consultations.
To be able to draw on TSOs’ expertise in these key areas of work, the Secretariat is looking preferably for a secondment of two years or more from a member TSO. The Secretariat has experience with different contractual arrangements for secondments and can give advice to TSOs and candidates on financial and tax effects. The Secretariat expects to pay market salary to the TSO for this long-term secondment.
- University degree in electrical engineering, preferably power system engineering. Post-graduate studies in electrical engineering a significant plus.
- At least 5 years relevant work experience in a TSO or a directly related business, preferably in transmission system planning.
- Proven expertise with system planning software, European grid codes and planning standards.
- Excellent skills and a strong interest in communication, for cooperating within and across the Secretariat sections, for supporting members in the working groups and facilitating consensus, and for explaining to stakeholders, politicians and the public the work products and positions of the TSOs.
- Excellent speaking, writing and presentation skills in English.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects, to organize resources and establish priorities.