Location: London, UK
Closing Date: 8 Dec 2011
The Governance and Institutional Development Division (GIDD) is one of the major Secretariat Divisions responsible for managing the Commonwealth Fund for Technical Cooperation (CFTC). It executes the Secretariat’s mandate on public sector development.
GIDD’s work aims to facilitate reforms of public sector related governance, so helping to bring about effective democratic public authority that delivers development, including political stability and economic growth.
The Division works in collaboration with other divisions and external partners to provide assistance across a wide range of development issues to meet the specific needs of member countries in a diverse, complex, and rapidly changing environment.
The Regional Programmes Group collaborates closely in the Division with the Thematic/Policy Programmes Group and the Technical Cooperation and Strategic Response Group to provide an integrated and seamless service to member governments.
The post holder is one of seven Regional Advisers in the Regional Programmes Group, who are responsible for programme development and management in the developing member countries of the Commonwealth.
The post holder is one of two Regional Advisers responsible for Commonwealth member countries in the Caribbean Region. In addition to providing a specialist role in public sector development, s/he will in collaboration with other in-house experts and Secretariat divisions in providing an integrated package of advisory, training and capacity building assistance for Commonwealth member countries.
The post holder:
- Provides specialist professional inputs and advice to member countries in public sector development through ‘development diplomacy’ - understanding political economy dynamics and using networking skills and to advise, influence and facilitate changes of political and institutional behaviour towards pro-development outcomes.
- Undertakes political economy analysis and problem diagnostics, through full needs assessments, situational analysis, etc. to shape development strategies and governance programmes and offers ‘best fit’ policy advice to address country demand.
- Provides strategic advice on regional and country issues for the development of an integrated programme of technical assistance and critically assesses requests for capacity development assistance from governments and regional organisations;
- Designs, delivers and evaluates high-quality results-focused institution and capacity-building projects ensuring sustainability, risk management and proper follow though initiatives.
- Fosters communities of practice through making the most effective use of Commonwealth networks for reform.
- Brokers exchange of ideas and practice between member countries, in particular through south-south learning.
- Take lead responsibility for the preparation of Project Design Documents using input from all relevant actors and ensuring high technical quality and consistency in technical, administrative and financial aspects, including complying to Commonwealth Secretariat policies;
- Ensure appropriate reporting, monitoring and evaluation is carried out in line with the Commonwealth Secretariat principles of Results Based Management.
- Actively contribute to the global goals of the Commonwealth Secretariat, including planning and reporting and contributing to the preparation of briefings for high-level visits.
- Works with relevant units and divisions to develop innovative approaches to capacity building, including the placement of long term experts in the assigned region;
- Advises and maintains close liaison with the designated Primary Contact Points and Points of Contact
- Networks with and establish strategic partnerships with relevant professional bodies, national and regional organisations as well as other donor agencies in support of the work of the division in the assigned region; and to harmonise and streamline aid efforts so that member countries can take advantage of the best that each organisation has to offer.
- Ensures sound financial management as well as efficient and effective utilisation of allocated resources for the region;
- Provides strategic professional advice to the Head of Regional Programmes Group and Director for the development of divisional policies and strategies for the assigned region;
- Advises and collaborates with Thematic and Strategic Response/Technical Cooperation Advisers and across the Secretariat on priorities and strategies for executing GIDDs public sector development mandate.
- Carries out and encourage research, development and publication of case studies on good practice.
- Performs any other duties as may be required.
Master’s Degree or a Post graduate qualification in development studies, political science, public administration or a related social science discipline.
- At least 8 years relevant work experience, including a proven track record of project management and capacity building development work in the public sector at the national level and/or in development work within an international organisation.
- Expertise on the governance agenda in international development thinking and practice.
- Significant experience in international development issues.
- Good knowledge of the contemporary development and public administration issues as they affect the Caribbean region.
- Substantial expertise in project cycle management.
- Good record of publications in relevant areas of governance, public sector development and/or international development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills