Use your skills in plant breeding and seed systems to help ensure food security for the poor in Africa! The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is looking for an innovative, results-oriented young scientist with excellent skills in plant breeding and seed systems to support the development and deployment of high-yielding, stress-tolerant maize germplasm in Sub-Saharan Africa. The scientist will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Global Maize Program (GMP), and will play a key role in a large multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional team focusing on improving the productivity of maize-legume systems in eastern and southern Africa. The position will be based at the CIMMYT office in Nairobi, Kenya, but will involve frequent travel, including to other CIMMYT field sites in Africa, besides active collaboration with public and private seed enterprises, and local and international partners.
The primary responsibilities will include:
• Assist in the development, and deployment of improved stress tolerant maize cultivars to resource-poor farmers in eastern Africa
• Designing and implementing maize-legume trials on-farm in close collaboration with public sector partners (national and international).
• Work with public and private sector partners to support seed production (breeder, basic, and certified) of stress tolerant maize varieties
• Technical backstopping and capacity strengthening of public sector partners in participatory variety selection.
• Contribute to collaborative maize breeding, research and capacity building activities in the framework of CIMMYT’s overall project agenda.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications:
• PhD degree in plant breeding or closely related field.
• Applied knowledge of experimental design, management of field trials, field breeding operations, and data analysis.
• Aptitude for field-based crop research.
• Excellent computer skills and experience with SAS, GENSTAT, or other statistical software.
• A record of publications in peer reviewed journals of repute
• Proficiency in spoken and written English, with an ability to communicate information in a cogent and informative manner.
• Strong self motivation and innovative skills, coupled with interest in international agricultural research and development
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural partnerships.
• Demonstrated good communication and organizational skills and ability to work under pressure
CIMMYT (www.cimmyt.org) is an internationally funded, non-profit research and training organization affiliated with the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR, www.cgiar.org) and has an annual budget of about US$ 90 million. CIMMYT’s mission is to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat systems to ensure global food security and reduce poverty. The center is a global leader in maize and wheat breeding, biotechnology, socioeconomics, and natural resource management research. CIMMYT employs about 700 permanent staff and operates through decentralized partnership, with staff in 18 countries and projects and networks in many more.
The position is for an initial fixed-term of three years, renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package paid in US dollars, with a range of benefits including housing allowance, life and health insurance, education allowance (to Grade 12), home leave, retirement fund, and relocation shipping assistance.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
Apply online no later than December 5, 2011.
At www.cimmyt.org, click on “About us – Job Opportunities- 2011/13 Position” Please complete the online application, including your cover letter, competencies and experience for the position, and a detailed CV/resume.
For further information, contact Dr. B.M. Prasanna, Director, Global Maize Program, email@example.com or the Human Resources Office, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UN WOMEN: COORDINATION AND PLANNING SPECIALIST (READVERTISEMENT) - The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination agains...
1 day ago