Temporary Appointment: Communication for Development Specialist (Polio), P3
for UNICEF N’Djamena, Chad
Application Deadline: January 15, 2012
If you are a communications and social mobilization professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, UNICEF needs your help to eradicate polio by 2012.
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) is the largest public health initiative in history and has achieved 99% reduction of polio cases since the World Health Assembly declared eradication a global health goal in 1988. As a key partner in the effort to eradicate Polio, UNICEF has the lead role in communicating to families and communities about the importance of taking the oral polio vaccine to prevent polio.
Under the guidance of the supervisor, your responsibilities will include:
Fostering the commitment of political leaders and key partners in taking the initiative towards polio eradication through:
• Assessing the levels of political commitment and engagement at national, regional and district levels and developing objectives and indicators related to increased commitment and oversight at all levels.
• Developing a work plan and supporting activities to meet these objectives.
• Engaging with media and external relations personnel in UNICEF HQ, WHO Geneva and other partners as necessary to develop and support plans.
2. Elaboration of Communication Materials
In collaboration with national polio eradication partners in accordance with the national branding and key messages for polio eradication, managing the formative research, development, pre-testing, production and dissemination of culturally relevant polio eradication communication materials, thus ensuring effective and efficient program delivery, including facilitating behavior change and promoting social norms around polio and routine immunization. More specifically:
• Reviewing existing Polio eradication communication materials and proposing relevant modifications and/or adaptations to improve on visibility and support program communication and social mobilization.
• Providing technical guidance to materials production, including selection of graphic designers, pretesting, quality of materials production and logistics of distribution.
• Developing guidelines for utilizing materials in the field and monitor distribution and utilization.
3. Multimedia Communication
• Conducting a situation analysis of the media environment, including media mapping of all major and local electronic media outlets, analysis of coverage of polio-related events, and developing short and medium term media plans.
• Developing media kits, press releases and leading workshops to support journalists and media houses to promote expanded and positive coverage.
• Developing messages and providing technical leadership for engaging mass media to promote demand for polio immunization for national and regional audiences.
• Leading the development of communication updates for polio eradication partners, stakeholders and external audiences.
4. Technical Support & Training
• Providing technical assistance to HUB and HRA Districts.
• Conducting training activities and build capacity in participatory & social and behavior change communication for UNICEF and other polio eradication staff, including government counterparts.
1. Advanced University degree in the social/behavioral sciences (Sociology, Journalism, Anthropology, Psychology, Communication or Health Education) with emphasis on advocacy, participatory communication and communication tools and material development.
2. Five years progressively responsible work experience in the development of advocacy strategy and plan, communication material. Experience in strategy development and programming at the country level is required. Work experience in developing country, especially in Africa, is an asset. Experience in the field of immunization is an asset. Proven skills in communication, communication planning, media relations and materials design / production, networking, advocacy and negotiation.
3. Fluency in French is required. Ability to work in English is required.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application should include 1) cover letter and 2) completed UN Personal History (P11) form. Please send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, with “Polio C4D TA” in the subject heading. Please submit your application by January 15, 2012.
Assistant/Associate/Full Professors in Engineering - *India’s Capital Region (Around Delhi)* Sharda University is a leading university promoted by SGI Group in India. It is a multidisciplinary and multicul...
9 hours ago