BPIE - Buildings Performance Institute Europe
BPIE is a not-for-profit think tank with a focus on independent analysis and knowledge dissemination, supporting evidence-based policy making in the field of energy performance in buildings.
A centre of expertise on all aspects of energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy performance of European buildings, the Institute focuses on policy analysis and advice and shares knowledge through studies, policy briefs, presentations and events. BPIE is promoting best practice approaches to improve the energy performance of buildings and supports evidence-based policy making through its analytical work. BPIE’s goal is to make a sustainable and low carbon built environment a reality in Europe. The cost-effective potential to reduce energy consumption and associated CO2 emissions has been estimated in many studies to be between 70 and 90% by 2050, using known technologies. The challenge lies in creating and implementing a policy and investment framework that delivers the potential, as well as the many other societal benefits that are linked to well-performing buildings.
BPIE supports a multifaceted approach to achieve efficiency improvements and to integrate renewable energy in buildings, and promotes regulatory measures and financial incentives that lead to the construction of net-zero or plus-energy buildings and the renovation of existing buildings to comparable levels.
The BPIE team is a young, multi-national and dynamic group of dedicated individuals, focusing on a results-oriented and analytical work culture in a trustful and open-minded atmosphere. BPIE supports a learning environment and allows employees to grow and manage projects independently.
In addition to its Brussels-based operation, BPIE is currently implementing country programmes in three member states and is offering an opportunity to contribute to the further expansion and development of our work in Berlin, Germany. www.bpie.eu
The roles and responsibilities as Country Initiative Manager are:
- Engage with relevant stakeholders in Germany to disseminate BPIE’s analysis and results, create and maintain good relationships with national building energy efficiency experts from policy, academia and industry;
- Represent BPIE in respective meetings and governmental policy processes aimed at improving the energy performance of the German building stock;
- Prepare policy papers as input to German policy processes and contribute proactively to such processes, based on BPIE’s European research results;
- Translate selected BPIE reports and papers into German;
- Support research projects undertaken by BPIE Brussels;
- Support fundraising activities as requested;
- Collaborate closely and constructively with BPIE staff in Brussels and in other European capitals;
- Organise meetings/workshops as requested.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in relevant discipline, such as architecture, economics, engineering, political/environmental sciences, etc. with particular skills in energy efficiency and renewable energy in buildings;
- Experience in policy analysis in relation to energy performance of buildings;
- A good understanding of German policies and support programmes in the field of energy performance of buildings;
- A good knowledge of the main German actors and influencers in the field, and of the political landscape in Germany in relation to energy and environmental issue;
- Knowledge of EU and Member States climate change and energy policies, with a particular focus on energy efficiency and renewable energy in buildings, combined with a good understanding of the current challenges in the building energy efficiency and renewable energy field;
- Proven experience in drafting reports and papers, presenting and debating technical and/or political topics related to the energy performance of buildings;
- Experience in liaising with stakeholder from both private sector and government institutions;
- Experience in managing multi-stakeholder projects.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in German and English; good knowledge of another European language is an asset;
- Creative thinker and innovative communicator; proven ability to think politically and to communicate diplomatically;
- Good analytical skills in relation to political opportunities and priority setting;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently but linked remotely to small, multicultural team, and to be a pro-active and constructive team player;
- A minimum of 5 years professional relevant experience;
- Ability and willingness to travel, primarily in Germany;
- Citizen of an EU 28 country.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a passion to address climate change and a keen interest to improve and innovate policy making in the field of buildings efficiency. BPIE’s approach requires flexibility in defining priorities in line with political opportunities, as well as openness to engage with a broad range of stakeholders.
The BPIE offers a one-year full-time contract based in Berlin, with possibility for extension. Our attractive package includes benefits, aligned with experience and skills.
A CV and cover letter in English language should be sent to Anne-Sophie Nollet at the following email address:firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to apply is 24 April, 2016. Please include the title “BPIE Germany” and your name in the subject line of the email.
We regret that we are not able to acknowledge all applications received. Please note that only suitable candidates will be contacted for interview. Please, no telephone calls.