BPIE - Buildings Performance Institute Europe
BPIE is a not-for-profit think tank with a focus on independent analysis and knowledge dissemination, supporting evidence-based policy making in the field of energy performance in buildings.
A centre of expertise on all aspects of energy efficiency, renewable energy and energy performance of European buildings, the Institute focuses on policy analysis and advice and shares knowledge through studies, policy briefs, presentations and events. BPIE is promoting best practice approaches to improve the energy performance of buildings and supports evidence-based policy making through its analytical work. BPIE’s goal is to make a sustainable and low carbon built environment a reality in Europe. The cost-effective potential to reduce energy consumption and associated CO2 emissions has been estimated in many studies to be between 70 and 90% by 2050, using known technologies. The challenge lies in creating and implementing a policy and investment framework that delivers the potential, as well as the many other societal benefits that are linked to well-performing buildings.
BPIE supports a multifaceted approach to achieve efficiency improvements and to integrate renewable energy in buildings, and promotes regulatory measures and financial incentives that lead to the construction of net-zero or plus-energy buildings and the renovation of existing buildings to comparable levels.
The BPIE team is a young, multi-national and dynamic group of dedicated individuals, focusing on a results-oriented and analytical work culture in a trustful and open-minded atmosphere. BPIE supports a learning environment and allows employees to grow and manage projects independently. BPIE is offering an opportunity to contribute to the further expansion and development of our work in an exciting policy environment in Brussels.www.bpie.eu
Reporting to the Head of Research, the roles and responsibilities as Project Manager are:
- Lead research projects from conceptualisation to completion, as defined in the BPIE’s project portfolio;
- Undertake research in relation to buildings policies, with a focus on current project such as:
- Recommendations for nZEB market transition on EU and member state level;
- Retrofitting and policy scenarios for shopping centres.
- Draft reports, present and discuss complex technical issues related to the energy performance of buildings and policy scenarios, implying excellent understanding of current challenges in the building energy efficiency and renewable energy field;
- Support fundraising activities as requested;
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to disseminate BPIE’s results, create and maintain good relationships with international building energy efficiency experts from academia and industry;
- Collaborate constructively with other team members as required.
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in relevant discipline, such as architecture, economics, engineering, political/environmental sciences, etc. with particular skills in energy efficiency and renewable energy in buildings;
- Experience in policy analysis in relation to energy performance of buildings;
- Experience in supporting multi-stakeholder projects;
- Familiarity with the EU and Member States climate change and energy policies, with a particular focus on energy efficiency and renewable energy in buildings, combined with a good understanding of the current challenges in the building energy efficiency and renewable energy field;
- Proven experience in drafting reports and papers, presenting and debating technical and/or political topics related to the energy performance of buildings;
- Experience in liaising with stakeholder from both private sector and government/EU institutions.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in English, and good knowledge of at least another European language;
- Creative thinker and innovative researcher;
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, and experience in managing external consultants;
- Willingness to work in small, multicultural team and to be a pro-active and constructive team player;
- A minimum of 5 years professional relevant experience;
- Ability and willingness to travel, primarily in Europe;
- Citizen of an EU 28 country.
The successful candidate will be a team player with a passion to address climate change and a keen interest to improve and innovate policy making in the field of buildings efficiency. BPIE’s approach requires flexibility in defining priorities in line with political opportunities, as well as openness to engage with a broad range of stakeholders.
The BPIE offers a permanent full-time contract based in Brussels, under Belgian law. Attractive package includes benefits, aligned with experience and skills.
In order to apply for this position, please click here.
Deadline to apply is 24 April, 2016.
We regret that we are not able to acknowledge all applications received. Please note that only suitable candidates will be contacted for interview. Please, no telephone calls.