IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the following position at the Institute’s Headquarters, Ibadan.
Research Associate (2-year renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things perform the following:
- Establish and manage field and screen house experiments on yam breeding and genetics both on and out-station.
- Manage technicians and other support staff in yam breeding unit.
- In coordination with Yam Breeder prepare weekly plan for all field workers and Technicians.
- Collect, organise and manage data entry from yam breeding experiments for statistical processing
- In coordination with Yam Breeder and Biometrician, process and analyse data from yam breeding experiments and prepare technical reports
- Organise, monitor and report on national (Nigeria) and regional (West and Central Africa) collaborative yam trials with partners
- Manage the propagation, characterization and dissemination of improved yam germplasm in response to requests.
- Maintain regular communication with clients and partners of the unit
- In coordination with Communication Unit and Yam Breeder, prepare training material on Yam.
- Train students and relevant staff of partner agencies in yam breeding methodologies
Qualification and Experience
Master’s degree in Plant Breeding from a recognised university, plus at least five years of certified experience in Plant Breeding.
The ideal candidate must
- Possess working experience/exposure in international organisations and interdisciplinary agricultural research
- Be familiar with agricultural and farming systems in West and Central Africa
- Have working experience with yam (Dioscorea spp). Participatory approaches will be an asset.
- Be able to demonstrate team management skills.
- Be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be proficient in the use of computers, database management software, statistical analysis software, internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools.
- Be fluent in oral and written English; with some working knowledge of French
This position is based in IITA Ibadan, Nigeria, and involves substantial domestic and international travel outside duty station.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application. Please note that application letters not accompanied with evidence of current remuneration and age will not be treated. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.