IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture seeks suitable Nigerian Nationals for the following position at the Institute's Kano Station.
Research Associate (18-month renewable contract)
Successful candidate will among other things:
- Coordinate and implement multi-locational on-farm trials
- Coordinate and supervise the collection of data on soils and other biophysical resources, crop management and yields, socio-economic variables and farmers' perceptions in the project's dissemination trials
- Coordinate and supervise the collection and processing of soil and plant samples
- Support the training of students and visiting trainees
- Undertake data management and analysis; and contribute to reporting of research outputs
- Support project staff to meet reporting, monitoring and evaluation requirements of the project activities
- Facilitate all aspects of the project's operations and management of logistics
- Carry out any other task assigned by the Supervisor
Qualification and Experience
M.Sc. in Agronomy, Soil Science or a related discipline.
Experience with and proven skills in the accurate collection of soil and other agronomic and socio-economic data in field trials are an absolute requirement.
The ideal candidate must
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills to interact with partners and farmers and to engage farmers in data collection where possible.
- Have good communication skills (a good knowledge of Hausa is an asset)
- Possess good computer skills and be able to use statistical softwares and Excel.
- Possess a valid Driver's License.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive fringe benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application:
Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/nrs-online-application. Please note that application letters not accompanied with evidence of current remuneration and age will not be treated. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.