Location: Vientiane, Laos
Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
Room to Read started its operations in Laos since 2005 and had published over 140 children book titles, established nearly 1,100 school libraries, constructed over 220 school buildings, piloting the Reading and Writing Instruction program and supporting over 1,700 secondary school girls to complete their education and we have two field offices in Oudomxay and Savannakhet Province.
Position Overview:The AFM will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization’s finances and accounting function. The position will report directly to the Country Director and serve as an integral member of the country management team. The position will have a dotted line reporting to Global Director Field Finance. The position will have regular interactions with both Country Office (CO) and Global Office (GO) staff.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· Ensure timely completion of all accounting & finance activities, such as regular accounting entries, closing the monthly & yearly accounts within deadline, monthly cash forecast, quarterly budget forecast, annual budgeting, etc.
· Ensure adequate internal controls are in place and organizational resources appropriately safe guarded.
· Train the team members in Accounting Concepts, Internal Controls, RTR policies, financial analysis/reporting and country’s legal requirements.
· In collaboration with the Program Operations Director, the AFM oversees the development, approval and implementation of the CO’s annual budget and quarterly forecast in collaboration with the Country Management Team at CO; and provide monthly updates as to actual performance vs budget;
· As a member of the Country Management Team and in coordination with the Global Office counterparts, ensure all finance and accounting activities are consistent with the global strategic plan and annual budget;
· Establish a framework for financial analysis and reporting on a regular basis that meets CO and Global Office requirements;
· Provide insightful analytics to help the Country Director and Country Management team make impactful decisions regarding program implementation opportunities;
· Establish and implement short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures for the CO;
· Collaborate with other departments , for example, for monthly cash forecast with Implementation Calendar, streamline quarterly forecasting process and involve other departments in the development of budgets;
· Develop, analyze and make recommendations relating to global and local financial policies, procedures and controls to ensure effective and efficient financial operations.
· Maintain adequate records related to bookkeeping, expenses, funds, partnership ventures, that are at all times accurate, substantiated, up to date, sufficiently detailed and prepared for random spot checks by internal audit functions
· Advise the Country Director and Country Management Team on all probable risk situations and implications thereof regularly.
· Ensure internal processes are adhered to before releasing of payments
· Coordinate internal audits, external/statutory audits and audits of Implementing Partners where applicable.
· Track and monitor program expenditures against grant funding and provide timely and accurate information to CO Programs Manager, Country Manager and GO Development Team.
· Support HR Department in the areas of retirement fund, staff related insurance and other payroll related benefits
· To review and recommend documents related to financial commitment as and when required.
· Guide the Accounting Associate to create and manage billing processes (accounts payable/receivable), make timely payment of advances and corresponding retirements.
· Develop deviation to Finance & Accounting Policy Manual (FAPM) in line with local administrative requirements as needed.
· Set up and maintain adequate in-country financial records in accordance with government regulations and or agreements, if required.
· Comply with RtR Financial and other policies and establish reliable internal control procedures.
· Issue staff and program related reimbursements in a timely manner and in accordance with applicable internal guidelines.
· Collaborate with GO to identify reputable audit firm and make arrangements for CO audit, if required.
· Undertake field visits to validate systems and procedures followed, comment on data integrity and train partner/community on applicable accounting and reporting skills.
· Lead and/or participate in projects that have departmental, cross-departmental, regional or global impact, such as projects on Cost Analysis, etc
Ensure all relevant Government Acts, Rules, and Regulations like provision of taxation, Value Added Tax etc, as applicable Room to Read are followed. Identify and monitor risks relating to legal and statutory compliances;
· Ensure that major financial risk issues and gaps in systems as highlighted in the internal audit are addressed;
· As a management team member provide inputs towards strategic decision making for the CO;
· Make sure that CO agreements with the Government Authorities at various levels (Ministries, Provincial, State, Districts, etc) are complied with to the extent of financial matters;
· Prepare highlights of key business indicators for the organization’s annual report, if any;
· Implement relevant accounting standards, audit standards and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and maintain current knowledge and understanding of accounting and tax regulations, laws, industry trends, practices;
Implement all Financial and Accounting Policy Manual (FAPM), Human Resources and Administrative guidelines to the extent applicable;
Make relevant reports to Government, Global Office and Country Director in timely and precise manner;
· Ensure complying with OFAC & SAMS regulations as it applies to RTR ;
· Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings and occasionally assist in hosting key donor visits
· Any other Accounting and Finance related tasks as advised by the Country Director and /or Global Office.
- Demonstrable accounting skills (a written test forms part of the interview process)
- Qualified CPA, CA, CGMA. CIMA, ACCA/ Post Graduate degree in finance or accounting
- A minimum of seven years of professional experience in the finance & accounting department, of which five years in a management position, either in a for-profit or a non-profit organisation
- Experience in successful implementation of a wide range of responsibilities in a prior financial services position
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- MBA along with accounting qualification mentioned above.
- Minimum Ten years of professional experience in the finance & accounting department either in a for-profit or a non-profit organisation.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing standard operating procedures, staff training modules, rolling out new accounting system, internal audit and grant management & reporting .
- Ability to speak and understand local language would be desirable.
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact an up-and-coming non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you’re not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with position, Country Accounting and Finance Manager in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com. Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds.
This position is open for both Laos and other country nationalities.