Job announcement: Manager East Africa
Position title: Manager East Africa
Duty location: Kampala, Uganda (preferred)
Report to: Regional Operations Manager
Terms of employment: 1 year with possibility of extension
About The 4C Association
The 4C Association aims to unite all relevant coffee stakeholders in working towards the improvement of the economic, social & environmental conditions of coffee production and processing to build a thriving, sustainable sector for generations to come.
The 4C Association is the leading multi-stakeholder sustainable coffee platform, guiding the sector towards mainstream sustainability in a non-competitive arena where all relevant stakeholders are enabled to participate.
It provides a recognized entry-level standard as a first step in continuous improvement towards sustainability, promotes and partners with other standards and initiatives in the market, and addresses the broader coffee sustainability agenda.
In order to continue delivery of services for members in the region, the 4C Association is currently looking for a Manager East Africa to act as 4C focal point for membership services, cooperation and representation. The Manager East Africa closely cooperates with the 4C Secretariat in Bonn and other 4C Regional Offices and reports to the Regional Operations Manager.
Role and Responsibilities
The Manager East Africa is in charge of coordinating all 4C related activities in Eastern Africa, with a focus on Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Tanzania. Duty station is Kampala, Uganda (preferred), with domestic, regional and occasionally international travel. For our regional representative, responsibilities focus on networking and cooperation with private and public stakeholders on both strategic and practical level, in line with the newly developed –and developing- strategies of the 4C Association. We aim to engage these stakeholders, including government agencies, NGOs, research institutions and other coffee standards, in working towards a more sustainable coffee sector in the region, also identifying program and project development and engagement opportunities. The Manager East Africa also provides advice to members in technical and administrative issues regarding verification and licensing, and generally supports members’ practices resulting in increasing volumes of 4C Compliant Coffee from East Africa. Specific tasks include:
Representational Tasks, Networking & Communication
- Promote 4C Membership and provide information to potential members; engage members to actively contribute to the organizational goals
- Enhance communication and information flow within and outside 4C Association, representing and promoting 4C Association at coffee meetings & conferences
- Maintain, enhance and establish new co-operations with local government institutions, donor organizations, research institutions
- Actively participate in the coffee sustainability discussions at national level and contribute to local sustainability platforms in cooperation with local/regional partners
- Enhance and expand 4C implementers network in East Africa in close collaboration with the 4C Team and other sustainability standards
- Cooperate with other sustainability standards and technical assistance providers in East Africa to promote the adoption of the 4C baseline standard at a national level
- Provide input to success stories and lessons learnt from practical application of good coffee practices
- Provide guidance regarding 4C application, preparation for verification and continuous improvement to 4C Members and 4C Units in East Africa (on demand)
- Coordinate development or adaptation of tools and manuals if/as required
- Contribute to the 4C national and regional strategies
- Support the 4C impact monitoring activities in East Africa
- Basic accounting and budgeting
- Project administration
- Regular reporting to 4C Secretariat
- Regular updating 4C data base (Open ERP)
Profile & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in agronomy or related field, Master's Degree preferred
- Minimum 8 years of work experience with agricultural value chains, Voluntary Sustainability Standards; coffee sector expertise is a must
- Relevant work experience in at least 2 African countries
- Experience in management of public-private relationships and successful cooperation with public and private partners, track record in service delivery
- Demonstrable experience in strategy development and implementation
- Excellent communication, representational and networking skills in an intercultural multi-stakeholder context
- Familiarity with implementing sustainability standards and management systems, expertise in organizational development and basic financial management is a competitive advantage
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Kiswahili; knowledge of French and/or other African languages is a competitive advantage
- Ability to perform guided by defined objectives and goals, and to work individually and self-motivated as well as part of a team (through virtual communication)
- Results-oriented approach, positive thinking and good teamwork spirit
- Willingness and ability to travel, including in rural areas
- Up-to-date computer skills (Virtual meeting and communication skills , Microsoft Office, ERP system)
- Passion for coffee!
Contract We offer an extendable one year contract with competitive salary and a pleasant, challenging and dynamic working environment with a highly dedicated team.
Starting date As soon as possible
Location Based in Kampala, Uganda (preferably), with frequent travel.
Application Please send your detailed application (cover letter, resume, references, salary history and salary expectation) by email to staff@4C-coffeeassociation.org as soon as possible. Applications are accepted until Tuesday 10 November and will treated with all due discretion. The 4C Secretariat will acknowledge receipt of all applications. However, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about 4C Association please visit: www.4C-coffeeassociation.org