The Foreign Policy Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring the American public to learn more about the world. Founded in 1918, the Foreign Policy Association serves as a catalyst for developing awareness, understanding of, and providing informed opinions on global issues. Through its balanced, nonpartisan programs and publications, the FPA encourages citizens to participate in the foreign policy process.
The Communications department is responsible for the organization's media relations, message development, publications, advertising and marketing. The department works to maximize the presence of FPA in print, broadcast, and online media outlets and on promoting FPA's roster of products, which include on-the-record events, FPA publications, PBS Television Series, global job board, FPA University, online publications and blogs. The department also works to ensure that FPA experts are visible in the media.
The responsibilities of the intern will include (but are not limited to):
• Coordinate and promote FPA Global Career Boot Camps
• Maintaining the media contact database
• Promoting FPA events and news to media outlets
• Editing online event coverage
• Fielding public inquiries about FPA and media requests for experts
• Tracking and recording media mentions of FPA
• Attend and assist staff at all on-the-record events
• Providing general administrative support
• Assist in the maintenance of the career center and global job board
• Assist with promotion and research related to Great Decisions on PBS
• Communications/ marketing related academic major
• Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
• Ability to multitask and work well collectively in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Basic HTML
• Strong interest in U.S. foreign policy
· Interns will gain hands-on experience in non-profit communications work, including an insider's view of professional media relations
· Interns will increase their professional writing and editing skills and gain knowledge of online and offline marketing and promotion
This is a six month internship in FPA's New York City headquarters, a modest monthly stipend is available.
Email a cover letter detailing your marketing experience and studies to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your resume.