Oxfam, a confederation of 17 affiliate organisations, is committed to ridding the world of poverty. We have a conviction that people are well capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve men and women also in our work. The confederations work together to increase the impact on its long term development and humanitarian responses.
Oxfam Novib is looking for a
Humanitarian Programme Manager
Based in Kampala, Uganda
Objective of the position
To develop, co-ordinate and implement the humanitarian strategy and priority frameworks at the country level; to ensure that Oxfam and partners have the capacity to prevent, mitigate and respond rapidly and proportionately to humanitarian emergencies with a focus on WASH and EFS-VL, and in the event of an emergency, to Coordinate Oxfam’s humanitarian responses and manage Oxfam Novib’s humanitarian response delivery with partners within the frameworks as agreed in Oxfam and in co-ordination with the Country director. The Humanitarian program manager also acts as the security focal point for Oxfam in the Country.
Oxfam Humanitarian Lead Role
• To provide leadership and co-ordination of the entire Oxfam response (e.g. strategy, fundraising, information management), in co-ordination with the country leadership team.
• To provide leadership to the overall Oxfam humanitarian preparedness in-country, including co-ordinating capacity development, design, testing and regular updating of the Oxfam contingency plan in-country and ensuring timely decision-making by the country leadership team at the onset of an emergency.
• To co-ordinate Oxfam’s ongoing monitoring of the humanitarian situation and of (interim) results of humanitarian interventions and represent Oxfam internally and externally regarding humanitarian matters.
• Regularly informs and facilitates decision making within Oxfam in Uganda senior programme management structures (Country Leadership Team) especially for purposes of rapid review and revision of emergency response interventions, and relevant national and international policies.
• To act as the security focal point for Oxfam in country and assist the Country Director/CLT to update and maintain and security management plans.
• Monitor the security situation in country, prepare and disseminate security situation reports (SITREPS) regularly and as will have been determined by the Oxfam Country Director.
• Provide security briefing and relevant advise to Oxfam staff, visitors and partners in line with the approved Oxfam security plans and protocols.
Oxfam Novib Response Delivery and Preparedness
• In the event of an Oxfam humanitarian response, to manage effectively, in coordination with other affiliates ON’s humanitarian response delivery with partners and, in co-ordination with the country director, to provide direction to strategic and rapid decision-making about strategy, resources and staff deployment in a complex, stressful and changing environment. To ensure effective programme management, and financial and information management.
• To co-ordinate Oxfam’s ongoing monitoring of the humanitarian situation to ensure up-to-date knowledge and understanding of developments in-country which have (potentially) an effect on the humanitarian situation, as well as of interim results of ongoing humanitarian interventions.
• To develop, review and implement Oxfam’s ’s humanitarian preparedness strategy and investment plan in-country in collaboration with Oxfam staff, other affiliates and Oxfam partners.
• To coordinate the appraisal and monitoring of ON’s and partners’ response capacity and co-ordinate capacity building activities for all parties involved in order to achieve the objectives set in the preparedness strategy.
• To develop Oxfam Novib’s humanitarian profile and programme in-country and to identify opportunities for fundraising with funding agencies. To lead acquisition with (potential) donors of humanitarian response and preparedness in close co-ordination with the Institutional Funding Co-ordinators and the humanitarian program Team.
• To represent Oxfam Novib in the Oxfam confederation and Oxfam externally regarding humanitarian matters, to generate exposure of Oxfam Novib’s humanitarian profile and good practices; to increase Oxfam’s awareness of current humanitarian trends and ensure sound internal and external co-ordination during preparedness and response.
• To collect proactively all necessary information relevant for Oxfam policy cycles and shares this with the Oxfam managing lead.
• At least 5 years experience in management and participatory strategy development, preferably in Africa. Knowledge of, and recent working experience in the region is a prerequisite;
• Experience with managing emergency response delivery and preparedness programming including in Emergency Food Security/Vulnerable Livelihoods and Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion;
• Proven analytical skills and strategic thinking, including the ability to think beyond the programme context and to act within a regional and continental perspective;
• Experience in representing an organisation at the level of local partners, local administration, ministries and donors at senior level;
• Project management and financial management skills to monitor the (operational) budget;
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards and principles. Work experience or additional training on gender, accountability, food security and/or pastoralism would be an advantage;
• Experience and ability to work with and support local civil society organizations;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills to report, motivate, influence, and negotiate;
• Experience in working in emergency contexts including on both preventive and responsive emergency interventions;
• Hands on experience in security and risk management both in operations and in programmes.
• Excellent communication skills, written and spoken, in English;
• Willingness to travel to the field frequently and used to working and travelling in remote areas.
A competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. We offer a gross salary in the range from € 3.229,- to € 4.969,- on the basis of a 40 hour working week. This is excl. 8% holiday fee, additional expat allowances will be offered.
More information and application procedure
Are you interested in this position? Send your application in English in writing, including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and mentioning reference number (5-6444) to email@example.com to the attention of Shabinah Asgarali, Recruiter, no later than July 18, 2012.
Information about the procedure can be obtained from Shabinah Asgarali, +31 70 3421868. Further information about the job can be obtained from Peter Kamalingin, Country Director, via firstname.lastname@example.org
Team Leader for Health Evaluation - The Team Leader will be responsible for coordinating the activities, assign tasks to team members and supervise performance. S/he will be the main point o...
19 hours ago